German S-Boats

Quite an interesting and seeminly popular kit is the old Airfix "S-Boat". Recently ive noticed just how rare and scares examples of which seem to be. 

Image result for airfix s-boat

Hopefully the older kit can make it into the new "Classics Range" thats started to return many kits back or perhaps even an entirely new mould? Perhaps multiple S-38/S-100 class ships?

Image result for kriegsmarine s-boat

Hi Smin 1080p

This old kit is really quite good except for the fitting of the hull parts, the figures especially being really excelent. ( see my build review of this kit in the ships forum) If Airfix could just correct the hull fitting this could easily be re-released as even though it's an old kit it still stands up well with todays offerings, If yo do see one at a reasonable price I can recommend it, just be prepared to do some work on the hull / deck fitting.

Remember we do this for fun                               Joh the Pom

I'd prefer a new tool early S-Boot. The original kit was good, but not without some problems - the hull profiles are not really correct (less obvious if you build it waterline) and the deck fit is ambiguous as to which boat it represents. Revell have pretty good late S-Boot kits to choose from, I'd be surprised if Airfix ever decide to go head-to-head with them (surprise me, Airfix).

I'd prefer a new tool early S-Boot. The original kit was good, but not without some problems - the hull profiles are not really correct (less obvious if you build it waterline) and the deck fit is ambiguous as to which boat it represents. Revell have pretty good late S-Boot kits to choose from, I'd be surprised if Airfix ever decide to go head-to-head with them (surprise me, Airfix).

I had seen some of the Revell ones, but they too are now increasingly hard (and expensive) to find it seems. 

The Airfix kit seemed to depict a very early model (not sure which type?) so I thought it would be a nice comback for the new Classics range and a good oppertunity for some new molds of the later models. 

Hi Smin1080p

The Airfix "E" or S boat model is indeed one of the early boats and were launched about 1937 ( Airfix decals are for S10 to S 13) . Not sure what happened to S 11 but S 13 served in the first few months of WW2 before going to a training school but S 10 & 12 both served untill about late 1940 or early 1941 before also going onto training schools. It looks from photos that the fore deck & bridge changed after S 13, as photos of S 14 onwards show a much modified bridge and wheell house. The one thing clear from wartime photos is that the mast seems to have been removed from these early boats when they wee on opperrational duties. Possibly to make them less visible from a distance. 

As I said before this kit is well worth giving it a go if you can find one at a reasonable price, even with the badly fitting hull and deck.

Remember we do this for fun                                John the Pom

• 4 years later...