Any New Live Steam this year?

trainlover23

Hi trainlover123,

Live Steam is not dead or finished!

Join the 00 Live Steam Club at http://www.00livesteam.com We are looking at where live steam will be going. We have an active membership with help, advice and support for members and a

current project looking into the possiblity of building new locomotives for members, with a wish list.

We also attend various exhibitions around the country to actively promote the product.
The next show will be at Doncaster on the 11th & 12th February.

On

occasions we have new and used sets and locos available for sale to members.

• 3 weeks later...
That would be good, steam from the controller. It is actually possible, you have to put a smoke generator in and a decoder which can operate functions.
I think there is a demand for live steam, even though Hornnby have not relased any for a few years,

there was when I saw the 00 Live steam club at Doncaster.

Jacob

As Trainlover23 said, it does not work on DCC, unless you fit a smoke generator, which would only work on certain models. But if you look, 2e0dtoeric said If they can make live steam operate with the eliet, that does not mean that it does.

Live steam is not finished, it's supposedly sleeping. Although in the Hornby Uncut video, some of the workers say that it is unlikely to be done again, not that it will never be done again.

Jacob

Alright, Bocal,
I'll rephrase my rather clumsy statement - Now - if they can make live steam loco's operate from an Elite DCC controller. :-) :-b
I wouldn't want steam or smoke to come out of the controller! (That can be expensive!)
I can't see

why it would be difficult to drive live steam loco's from the Elite. You already have 15v ac to heat the boiler. (electric kettle style!), and just need a model aircraft style servo, with feedback pot for positioning control, to operate the regulator, controlled

by the existing speed regulator on the controller rather than the pulsed dc motor/gearbox, as now, and one function to select forward or reverse timing.
I have seen OO live steam loco's operated by r/c, at displays, so the conversion cannot be THAT difficult!

I too bought probably one of the last Live Steam locos from Hattons. I set up a decent sized Oval on a new layout in the garage. Having tried out a number of steamings on a rolling road I eventually plucked up the courage to give it a track run. As expected

it accellerated so quickly without carriages and came off on the second bend down the far end! I had prepared a soft cushion so no damage. After that I have only run with 4 carriages and gave it a few gentle nudges to get going. Once going I basically left

it alone with very minor inputs. The garage is very cold this time of year so I'm waiting for some warmer weather before running again. I have provision to run either steam controller, DCC or analogue supplies so the layout is versatile. Separate inner ovals

can connect to DCC or analogue only.
I too hope to see further models but at least I have one to enjoy. Yet again my 10 year old Grandson is better at the control than I am. I handle the Hot Bits!

JohnS

• 4 weeks later...
Hi trainlover23,

Live steam lives on with the 00Live Steam Club! We have a project to encourage members to make their own Live Steam Locomotives and we are working on the design of a LMS Duchess and a new handheld controller. Visit our stand at

Alexandra Palace on the 24th & 25th March and at Peterborough on the 31st March.

[reply]Brightstar said:

Hi
A Duchess would be no problem for the main engine just the tender would need more work. I beleive that the GWR did run a King with a 4 wheeled tender?
Have had a look at your club and jon is it is barking up the

wriong tree with his valve timing i think? and the taking apart of an A4 is good but what about putting back together?
but apart from that the common thread is we all want a new engine and hope that Hornby will build one. it is good that many keep pluging

away at a new loco and maybe one day a one off limited run might happen.

Live steam is finished for now. Spares are getting very thin on the ground too, with a lot of people hoarding piles of them.

For example spares are essentially finished, just had an order for 100 bottles of R.8210 live steam oil and 50 X9190 superheaters

the other day, that's cleared my complete stock of those parts out with no hope of ever getting anymore to sell. Perhaps Hornby will revisit the idea sometime in the future, live steams biggest let down was the different operating voltage and no DCC control

ability.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I think you may be right sad to say it maybe the Live steam club could offer a new engine but i think that is unlikely as the cost just to put

a new body on an A3 chassis would put it out of the reach of most people.

Every chance the Elite I had would

have given live steam prior to going flash and bang give a little longer time trial.

Best live steam I know comes from kettle.

If I could find out exactly what plastic is used for the making of the bodies and demand was enough I would make a mould for a rebuilt W1, it's easy to make a new mould from a stretched Hornby A4 with new cabsides. The A4 chassis would require modification

and a new pony truck but that's about it. Sadly I doubt if demand is there, a while ago I was encouraged to make working lamps for the Hornby hydraulic buffer stops by model forum members and people at exhibitons saying they needed such an item so I went to

a great deal of expense, machined up a mould for my small injection moulding machine and made working lamps then found no one wanted them after all, I ended up selling them all for peanuts just to get rid of the big batch I made.

I think for now live

steam is well and truly over.

Archived