LMS Duchess

Go_West

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

to answer some of your questions first Rob this is a kit and just needs soldering together the part you are talking about is the valance which has all them holes this line of holes is the cut line which removes the large bottom section of brass making the engine look more like it should it's just like this at this time to give strength while the build goes on.

yes I can start a new posting but does it look like I'm being manipulated into writing up another build?

you crafty people.

ken

I’ve seen that dotted line method before Ken on toilet paper but it doesn’t work. Plenty of filing required after you break it out.

You know you enjoy doing these write ups for your fan club. I’ve been trying to think of a way to save them into engine files Instead of the forum format so it keeps all the work together and filters out most of the chat and banter.

Rob

i like the sound of a list of built locos some could then jump to a build and maybe start there own build which is something that I'm always hopefully one day will happen or post in the forum a build of there own.

You have sown the seeds Ken.

I will see what I can do in the New Year to pull the existing stuff together for your review then maybe I can hang it on my website, which will be changing when I leave my Cyprus service provider next year.

Rob

• 2 months later...

I was running this engine over the week end and it is going well now one of my favourite locos and wandered if live steam owners would like one in there collection? 

Hornby may not want to get back into this line again even if people would buy a limited model but I feel that there is still a large following for live steam and many other companies out there produce live steam models so getting back to my question if a limited number of Duchess were to be produce how much would be a good price for this loco and how many would be interested 

I picked this engine as a possible small production run as there would be no new designing or tooling needed 

I suppose you could have separate kits in order of cost for....

1 The full monty with all parts, body and chassis, maybe including transfers, etc

2. Body kit only to put on your own rolling chassis.

3. Chassis kit to modify your standard Hornby live steam chassis to the improved Ken Duchess standard.

Kit costs would have to be based on raw materials and/or fabricated parts plus realistic labour to make and provide these items plus to produce instructions for each kit, etc. None of which will be cheap if you factor in realistic values, especially associated labour costs For a short run.

I am sure we must have an estimator on the forum who could rough out a schedule for you Ken.

Rob

Rob

i wasn't thinking of making the loco my self but letting Hornby take the production on it just that some people not me will pay over £2000 for a second hand live steam engine I just thought that if with modern production techniques a new engine might be possible at a fair price?

Ken

hi all 

i was thinking of this loco because they have just produced a Duchess as a new model so the front and rear bogie have been designed and produced and someone must know if the heat resistant plastic can be used on the new mould and the a3 or a4 chassis will fit ok with some new brackets.

the only problem will be geting the chassis rebuilt but surely the tooling and set ups must be under Hornbys control?

Archived