how do become a commity mod?

Mr de Havilland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

GNR-Gordon-4 - a while ago, Administrator put out a message asking for those interested in a Moderator position and, like Patrick Camilleri above, applied. I too was flattered to have been accepted.

For what it's worth, from my point of view, no, I don't personally know Administrator or any of my Community Moderator colleagues, however, we all have other Moderating experience on other various sites (in my case, a non-modelling related one).

The post is indeed in our own time and is unpaid, just as huge numbers of Moderators aren't either on huge numbers of sites - no payment, no stipend, or anything like that.

I don't sign in every day, but I do visit virtually every day to read what's been happening and to check for spam etc.

Hi Gordon, when Adam asked for volunteers, like the others, I expressed an interest and was accepted. I own and run the Airfix Tribute Forum and have met a number of Airfix staff on visits to Margate. I also worked for a toy manufacturer and Corgi was part of our Group (long before Hornby took them over). Indeed, there was stuff in the Margate Showroom that I recognised from the Mettoy Showroom (my dad and granddad worked for them too). There is a wide community of Airfix fans and historians who do not post here but are active on other parts of the web. I check in most days looking for spammers.

@DavidJC and @Ratch

Thank you both for your responses.  😀

I suppose it's in the title of the postision. 'Community'. That means it's unpaid and is a voluntary position. Why didn't work this out before?!  🤔 😆 😉 😀

So effectively then, you can log in to the forum as much or as little as you like, as long as you actually do your assigned job when you are logged in, there's nothing wrong with that?

Using the same account, if you went over to let's say the Hornby Forum, would still be a Community Moderator there, or just on the Airfix Forum?

Sorry about all the questions. I am very intrigued about this role.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4

The previous forum was under the Heller/Humbrol banner and it closed in March 2006. The Airfix Tribute Forum was one of a couple of sites founded to replace the old site - founded in April 2006. It was closed because one of the Moderators abused their powers by editing a post made by the Site Administrator. Shortly after this Airfix went into receivership (as I explained in another post).

IIRC this forum was started in 2015.

IIRC = if I remember correctly

The ATF was created by Dave Coventry, who asked me to take ownership of it. We had contact with Airfix who gave us permission to use their artwork, and we had a good relationship with them. I built the test shots of HMS Illustrious (without instructions or decals) and Dave scratchbuild HMS Queen Elizabeth for Airfix to present to the Navy.

IIRC = if I remember correctly

Thank you for telling me that. I did not know this and I sat there for a number of minutes trying to work out what I could mean and I couldn't get it, so I asked you.

The ATF was created by Dave Coventry, who asked me to take ownership of it. We had contact with Airfix who gave us permission to use their artwork, and we had a good relationship with them. I built the test shots of HMS Illustrious (without instructions or decals) and Dave scratchbuild HMS Queen Elizabeth for Airfix to present to the Navy.

I was assumed that The Airfix Tribute Forum was something you created as you are the owner. Clearly not. Took over the role from somebody else.

Thank you for giving me this information Ratch. I would never have ever known it otherwise.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4

Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry, I totally missed your post with the questions but I see the others have answered you.  Yes, I do it from home and do try to visit the site every day even though I don't actually put up a post every day.  I keep a special weather eye open for ship related posts since ships are my main interest but I also go through the other sections of course.

Archived