R9298 Gordon's Brake Coach: Missing Coupling Hook

NWR-Gordon-4

The other day, I ordered an R9298 Gordon's Brake Coach. It arrived today and to my horror afer opening the box and oulling out the 'block of ice' inner plastic packaging, I noticed that coupling hook was missing. So either this product that was advertised as new, is not new, or it's a manufactering fault, in that the hook was fitted and it fell off, or one was not fitted at all. Is this a common problem with R9295 James' Composite Coach, R9296 James' Brake Coach, R9297 Gordon's Composite Coach and / or R9298 Gordon's Brake Coach?

I have contacted the seller asking for a replacement. Hopefully I will be able to get a replacement and if I can, I hope it does not come with the same problem.

GNR-Gordon-4 

I checked for the hook in the box and inside the plastic ‘block of ice’ packaging and it was not there. It was not fitted, or it fell off.

I don’t have any skate hooks, but I find thatbwhen hooks fall off, they never want to sit back in their slot again and are keen to fall off.

I really hope I can get a replacement, or get my money back and go else where to get my R9298 Gordon’s Brake Coach.

GNR-Gordon-4

I take it the coupling is moulded on not plugged in. 

Just checked and can see it is moulded. You can attach a new hook and squeeze the part that fits in the slot. If you are unable to do  it take it to Cheltenham models, I'm sure they will oblige. 

It is a very common thing for the hooks to escape . Really don’t think it is some to be horrified about.  😉

I think it is moulded on. Coupling unit itself part of the bogie, not separate. A hook is what is missing.

I have never bought locomotive or piece of rolling stock that has a hook missing, but have come across a coupling unit to plug in yourself if you want it, wrapped up in a plastic bag.

I can’t buy coupling unit as I can’t take one off the coach. The coach is identical to the GWR Collett Coaches from the Hornby RailRoad range.

GNR-Gordon-4

I cannot ever get the hooks to stay in the slot, without falling out again. Besides, isn't there a law of some sort that products should last at least a year without needing repairs. I have already spent an extra £8.00 getting my Henry's tender wheels repaired, so I'm prepared to spend more money in repairs, on brand new items.

If the seller will not send me a relacement, which I don't see why they will not, as they have three other's in stock, then I want m money back and I will get an R9298 Gordon's Brake Coach elsewhere.

GNR-Gordon-4

Jacob it really is incredibly easy  to replace the hook. No problem at all. Also the coach can still be used without the hook as long as the coupling joining it has one. Some people remove the hooks from one end of there rolling stock. 

Look at this link, hooks are readily available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhornby+coupling+hooks.TRS0&_nkw=hornby+coupling+hooks&_sacat=0

Thank you for your help WTD, but I have done this previously with coaches that I no longer own. A hook fell off and it would no longer stay in it’s place. I bought a replacement hook and that wouldn’t stay in its slot either. It was the same sort of coach too, as this R9298 Gordon’s Brake Coach, with a non-removerable coupling.

I‘m sorry but I can’t waste money buying hooks only for them to keep falling off.

GNR-Gordon-4

How is sending something back for a replacement which is a consumer right if the item is new and faulty unnecessary worry?

I want use my coach. If it’s staying in the box or will sit in a display cabinet, then it wouldn’t matter. The fact the hook missing on the end that couples up to the composite coaches means that the hook is needed.

GNR-Gordon-4

I recived another email today, from the seller who sold me my Hornby Thomas & Friends R9298 Gordon's Brake Coach. I must have misunderstood them. I thought they were replacing the coach, but they are sending me a couplingh hook. Credits where they are due to the sell for sorting it out, not in the way that I wanted, but at least it's been sorted.

Now I am just going to have fun getting the damn hook to stay in it's place, without it falling off when coupled to other coaches, unoupling from other coaches, or tipped end down towards the floor.  🤔

I can see me having a good go get to the replacment coupling to stay in it's slot, but I it won't work, I will sell the coach with the coupling hook and buy another elsewhere.

GNR-Gordon-4

I believe you WTD.

Thanks for the help. I might be able to find some small pilers in the garage, if not, I will pop to Postman Prat's house. Apprantely he has a good selection of tools, in his tool box!  😉 😆

The hook has not arrived yet. I think it was posted today, so should be here by the end of the week and I will see what I can do.

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived