Cobalt AD-S8sx Decoder setup

I have connected my points to the appropriate solenoid number on the decoder and put it in the set position, how do I now "write" that information to the decoder? Do I do it on the planning screen as indicated on the decoder instructions and how do I do that, it said just plick on the appropriate point and it will read it. Do I click on the green & red point. This I have done. I then change the decoder setting to the run position, but when I go back to the main screen to operate the points, via the main RM screen, nothing happens which would indicate I have used the wrong procedure. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance for any help . 

Cheers

Matthew

...nothing happens which would indicate I have used the wrong procedure. Can anybody help me?

My reply assumes that you have either done it wrong or missed out important steps. So my reply documents the WHOLE process from start to finish.

In the Track Designer RailMaster Screen. You need to draw (if you haven't done so already) a representation of your layout and add point icons to it. For further reference read the RailMaster manual starting at Page 77 for creating a 'Track Plan'.

You then configure those points as follows:

Left mouse hold drag the Red point operating button from the left hand vertical column to the point icon on the screen and position your mouse cursor (not the Red button) in the centre of the point icon square. Then release the left mouse button.

You should now see BOTH the Red AND Green point operating button SNAP to their respective positions on each side of the point icon. If you do not observe this SNAPPING action, then you have done it wrong. So try again until you do see this SNAPPING action.

Once you have got the Red and Green operating buttons applied to each side of the point icon, then right click the Red button and a configuration dialogue box will open. You do not have to configure the Green button separately. You only have to configure one of the two buttons.

In the 'pull down' boxes select.

Controller = "A" this assumes that you are NOT using two controllers with an eLink as Controller B dedicated for operating points.

Type = "Hornby R8247 4-port decoder". It doesn't matter that you are using an ADS 8 port decoder. Choosing this option will work and has been proven in previous posted questions and answers to give more reliable operation with the Cobalt ADS 8 decoders, than using the ADS option in the 'pull down' box..

Decoder port: = the DCC Address you want to give each individual point decoder port. Each address you allocate should be unique for your layout. For example (and this is only an example), if you only have one single ADS 8 you might want to allocate the 8 ports as DCC addresses 1 to 8. The Hornby label on this configuration box is a little bit misleading. The value entered in this box is the DCC Address you want to use for the physical decoder port.

Start-up position: The number you type in the white text box denotes which order the points will fire during the start up testing sequence. I suggest that these numbers start at 1 and increase sequentially by 1 for the number of points that you have. So if you have say five points used out of the 8 ports, then this box will number from 1 to 5 for each point configuration box. If you are using RailMaster 'Standard Edition' as opposed to 'ProPack' then this box can technically be left blank. But it is worthwhile entering a value anyway.

Left / Right: In this pull down box select which way you want the point to throw (throw left or throw right) during the RailMaster start-up sequence. This will set your initial start up routes around your layout. For example these 'Left & Right' choices might be set to allow any locos sitting on an oval to continue 'round and round' the oval without having points set against them.

forum_image_608d84250a77f.png.484ad54e3da696333f07186a9a80a828.png

At this time, you can ignore the other configuration options that you see in the dialogue box above, which is why I deliberately cropped the image above not to show them.

Once all your point operating icons have been configured, then save your edited track plan. In the RailMaster 'System Settings' screen make sure that your named 'track layout' plan is loaded when RailMaster starts.

TIP: Give your track plan your own unique file name. Do not over-write one of the Hornby provided plan names with your edits. Else the next time that RailMaster is version updated, the plan will default back to the Hornby one and any edits you have made will be lost. So even if you start off with a Hornby provided track plan, then save your edits to it under a new file name of your own.

You should now be in a situation where RailMaster starts up showing your track plan on the main screen. With your points on the track plan configured with your chosen DCC addresses.

Let's say just for the sake of demonstration that your layout has 5 points and the points on the screen are configured with DCC addresses 1 to 5 associated with ADS 8 ports 1 to 5 respectively.

Port 1 on the ADS 8 will need to be wired to the physical point motor on the layout, that is represented by the point on the screen with the DCC address 1, and so on for the other four ports 2 to 5, these 2 to 5 ports need to be wired to the physical point that the 2 to 5 screen point icon represents.

The descriptions below are based upon my example DCC Address numbering scheme using DCC Addresses 1 to 5.

Now and only now.

1. Put the switch associated with ADS 8 Port 1 into the 'Set' position.
  2. Now on the main RailMaster normal track layout screen, click the Red then the Green buttons on the screen point that you have configured with DCC Address 1.
  3. Now put the ADS 8 Port 1 switch back to the 'Run' position.
  4. Test the point operation by clicking the Red & Green screen buttons for point 1. If configuration has been successful, the point should change. If it doesn't appear to work, power cycle the ADS 8 decoder and test again.
  5. Repeat 'Steps 1 to 4' above for the other four points, but using the screen points 2 to 5 with DCC Addresses 2 to 5 and physical ports 2 to 5 as appropriate.

Note: If you have RailMaster 'ProPack' then you can send the point operate command [step 2 in the list above] directly from the RailMaster 'Track Design' screen. But I prefer to use the main RailMaster track screen as documented above. There is then less potential for novice operator error.

Once you have completed the above on all your points on screen. You should then be able to use the screen icons to change your physical points on the layout by clicking the appropriate screen point operating button. You should also see 'Grey Lines' that represent the direction the point has been thrown in. If you find that the physical point throws in the opposite direction to what is represented by the Grey Line. Then either reverse the two (non common) wires on the ADS 8 port for the affected point. OR re-open the point configuration dialogue box in the RailMaster track layout design screen and click the 'Reverse Polarity' check box.

forum_image_608d839b28fb6.png.fa78c4b7f586b0cc7cd2f51b0052f6fe.png

TIP: I write long detailed posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes images. If you use the blue button, any reply you write will be held back for image approval. Even though it is already they are already previously published images.

Hello Matthew,

There is a way of testing the wiring of the decoder port to the point without using Railmaster. Assuming you have the decoder port connected to a point motor, and the decoder itself has DCC input, you can use the 3 terminals on the decoder port which I think are labelled "Momentary". You can use a paperclip bent into a U-shape for this or a piece of wire. Touch one end onto the middle of the 3 momentary terminals, then briefly touch the left one, Then touch the right one. This should cause the decoder to fire the point motor, if the wiring is correctly set up.

Ray

In that case, just follow the principle of my method and apply it to the numbers you have, Like 40 DCC addresses instead of the 5 addresses in my example. If you have two eLinks then I assume that at least some of the points are on controller B, and not controller A in the pull down list. As I said, just follow the 'in-principle' of my methodology description and select controller A & B in the drop down list as appropriate. My key salient parts of the procedure should get you working.

PS - Your low post count infers that you might be a RailMaster newbie. If you are, then take note of this further comment.

My first reaction for a RailMaster newbie is to advise that they check their 'railmaster.ini' file to ensure the most appropriate eLink entries are in it. Many newbies just accept eLink communication issues (if they have them) as being the norm, because they have not been advised otherwise and know no different. So if you have any problems whatsoever regarding communication issues between your eLink and RailMaster, then check your .INI file. Even if you have not observed any issues, then it is still worthwhile carrying out this recommended .INI file check. You open the .INI file editor by clicking the bluish COG icon in the RM 'Help Screen'. Follow on screen prompts to open the editor. As you are using Windows 10 then ensure that these two lines are at the very bottom of the file as the last two entries:

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

Also, since you say you have two controllers, then you will need these two additional lines as well, below the ones quoted above:

[These additional two lines assumes that you are running BOTH eLink controllers from one single RailMaster application.]

Alternative comms2=1

Check controller2=1

These railmaster.ini lines will also ensure that the on-screen RailMaster 'short circuit' notification will display, if it doesn't already.

Type them in if missing, or delete them if existing higher up the file and retype them at the end of the file, then save the changes, close and re-open RM to ensure the changes take effect.

Dear Chrissaf

Thanks for you advice and following it things now look good. I have wired my first decoder Hey, Hey!!

Regarding the Railmaster.ini file I have changed to not showing point lables, they got in the way in places so I am OK too follow your other advice.

Yes indead I am a "Newby" not only too RM but too modeling at all. I am now 73 years old and have be going for about 3 years but only about 12 months with RM.

Once again many thanks for your expert assistance.

Cheers

Matthew

Glad to have helped.

And thank you for the feedback about the advice given. Many a time the forum contributors are left in the dark, not even knowing if their advice has even been read.

• 2 years later...

All DCC Concept Accessory Decoders are what are termed 'Self Learning' decoders, thus they all adopt pretty much the same configuration methodology as outlined in this tutorial thread. The difference between the ADS-8Sx and the AD-8Fx is that the ADS-8Sx is for Solenoids and the AD-8Fx is for 'stall type' slow action motors. Both decoder products are 8 port and have a 'run / set' switch for configuring each individual port. It should be noted that DCC Concepts also do a ADS-8Fx which although has a FX suffix, it is the precursor to the later ADS-8Sx model and is a Solenoid decoder rather than a 'stall motor' one. I assume that you have stated the correct Fx model number when stating the AD-8Fx.

So Yes, the same setting up procedure should work for the Fx as well as the Sx. The AD-8Fx use the same supplementary DCC addresses for configuration tasks, such as the documented use of DCC address 197, 198 and 199 to perform certain set-up operations in the Cobalt iP Digital stall motor instructions.

• 1 year later...

What a great article and many thanks for the time you give to the Railmaster queries.

can I also gently hijack the thread. I am in the process of re starting my Railmaster and just upgraded to Pro. Most of my points are controlled by DCC Concepts ADS 8SX units. However I have 4 awkward points that are controlled by the DCC Cobalt SS inits. Any thoughts.

What a great article and many thanks for the time you give to the Railmaster queries.

can I also gently hijack the thread. I am in the process of re starting my Railmaster and just upgraded to Pro. Most of my points are controlled by DCC Concepts ADS 8SX units. However I have 4 awkward points that are controlled by the DCC Cobalt SS inits. Any thoughts.

@Alan-347499

Cobalt SS are surface mounted solenoid point operating motors. The matching SS control board has the same "Set & Run" address self learning switch that is used consistently throughout the DCC Concepts product range. Therefore the configuation principles outlined in this thread will still apply.

Note: The guidance given by the late Chrissaf on page 1 of this thread was updated and republished as FAQ6 in the 'Railmaster FAQ Index' sticky thread. It is fairly obvious that this resurrected old post was the basis used for the FAQ he wrote. I suggest you review FAQ6 as that may offer you additional guidance to your information request.

EDIT: Post text edited in line with Fishman's correction.

A minor correction for Paul, Cobalt SS are stepper motor, not solenoid.

And as well as FAQ6 and previous detail from Chris, download the SS manual/detail on the DCC Concepts site as my reading of it is that it is comprehensive and tells you all you need to know.

PS. Alan, you are much better off raising a new thread with an SS title, rather than hiding it here under the ADS title. That way, people know what you are really after and people following and wanting the same info have a much better chance of finding it.