Arnold Treno Merci N guage

Guest Chrissaf

I just purchased an N guage " Treno Merci " and the speed controller is a piece of Junk .

It just wont work . There is a 12 volt tansformer but the speed controller does nothing .

Once or Twice when the red light came on ...the loco moved but then it blanked out again . 

Can anyone recommend a better speed controller or what if anything can be done with the existing one ?

Hi,

That looks like the standard R8250 that comes with the set and should be fine for the set. It could be that you have a faulty one in which case return for replacement.

There are plenty of alternatives that would be suitable - including Hornby's R8012 - but I suggest make sure the existing one is faulty and that the powerpack is correctly connected to the track and there are no faults with the locomotive? 

My research indicates that the set does indeed come with a R8250 controller. Your issue description sounds like an intermittent fault in the power input circuit. This could be the mains adapter itself, or in the controller, or the DC connector and lead that plugs into the controller. Connect the controller to the power source and manipulate the leads and connectors to see if you can identify the weak spot in the power path. That is to say when the red power LED goes on and off when you touch, push, pull or tug something.

If you have access to a multi-meter measure the voltage output of the power supply on the DC connector, is that stable. If it is, then the controller itself is more likely to have an intermittent fault issue.

These controllers are cheap and cheerful, designed for a set just to get you going. They do have issues cutting out prematurely when driven hard, but they do not normally exhibit the fault you have described.

Does the red power LED come on permanently, when the output of the controller IS NOT connected to the track. If it does, then you may have an intermittent 'short circuit' on the track, track power connector or loco.

Artane, Hi, welcome.  I have 2 of these sets, which i am very happy with. Also, 6 of these controllers. I think this is a track/ connection problem, as opposed to a controller one, as track connection, leaves a bit to be desired. I soldered wires to my track, then joined them. Before you go down this route, try holding or clipping wires to the track. These controllers, trip out, very easily, and tis solved by switching on and off. They usually trip, when there is a bad connection. I would be surprised if you have a faulty one.

Archived