Scalextric Club membership

robbo5

The Club used to be an annual subscription with a small magazine and a Club specific car, I don't think the membership properly covered the cost of the magazine and car, so it got dropped, to be replaced by a subscription magazine and no car.

I really looked forward  to the new car each year and felt it was a shame it was dropped. Personally, I would like to have this back with perhaps a two tier approach, those wanting to just subscribe at one rate and those wanting to have a subscription and car at another. I think £50 per annum for the all in subscription would be reasonable, it is less than a £1 per week after all, and it should cover the cost of production of both magazine and car.

There is a magazine already on the market called "Slot Magazine". This seems to be stronly associated with Scalextric already, so why not combine this magazine with he Scalextric Club and offer a Club car into an enhanced subscription?

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly it appears that Hornby are ignoring every part of the business, the club along with software updates for their own track design is far out of date. Going on history where they spent thousands of dollars on molds then they scrap them when they should have kept those molds for historical releases. Hornby want us to support them but Hornby refuse to support us. Not good at all.

Hopefully one day Hornby will get their act together before it is too late. oh well

Hi Johnno - I sense you are a bit fed up at the moment and that the obsolete Track Designer and non-appearance of the new Scalextric Club have become BIG issues for you. All I can do is encourage patience and repeat what I said on another thread over the weekend...

My only contact with Scalextric recently has been around the announcement of their new Micro Scalextric and My First Scalextric system. The reason for the significant investment on this new system is because people with influence in the company did listen to customer feedback. What the Scalextric team have done over the past two years is to completely re-design the product that gives young racers their first taste of slot car racing - there couldn't be anything more important to listen to and get right.

Apart from that specific experience, I regularly see members of the Hornby team interacting with slot car enthusiasts on various online forums, social media and at events like the UK Slot Car Festival in May. I don't know if you've watched the BBC TV Programme 'James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain' or read the new 'Hornby Hobbies - A Model History' publication? Both indicate to me that the Hornby 'top-brass' are very keen to listen to customer feedback and have reacted to that feedback to change how the company works and in terms of the product lines. Don't forget that Hornby's main customer base may have different priorities to our own personal wish lists :-)

The new 'regime' at Hornby is in its early days. They have already made inroads on the business side of things, improved delivery times and brought out some cracking new 'marquee' releases for Hornby and Airfix aficionados. Plus we have the very tasty Scalextric Lotus 25 due later in the year - and the youngsters have those fabulous Warner Brothers sets and cars. However, I suspect the 2020 Scalextric catalogue will be our first proper look at what we can expect in the future. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Sure, it can be frustrating that Hornby don't just fix everything immediately, but I think their methodical approach of identifying and fixing the most important broken link in the chain - and then moving on to the next - is the right way for the sustainable future we all want the company to have. My family history with Scalextric goes back nearly ten years before I was born, with my dad buying the original rubber track and tin-plate cars for him and my older siblings. So Scalextric is in my blood and very dear to me. In these difficult times, I like to think we - customers and company - are all in it together and striving for a bright future.

Hiya, I wouldn't say the lack of updates a BIG thing but they are important items being ignored. I totally understand Hornby must look after the main income stream, that being model trains, afterall they have to keep the milk coming in so they can produce the cream.

I am being patient, I hope... and thought that more needs to be said by people who are interested in this hobby/business. Being new to slot cars and Scalextric in general I consider myself having made a substantial investment in this hobby with another order placed last week totalling $1,300 $AUD with previous orders and expenditure coming close to $5,000 in 18 months!!!

I apologise if I came across as angry, I had and have no intentions of that. I don't beat around the bush no more, I would rather speak blunt and direct, unfortunately this may appear to be angry.

I suspect most of my furstrations are stemming from the lack of designability for my track... I just can't seem to make it look, drive, race properly. I do not possess an artistic design brain which is where I am struggling from.

It is great that Hornby are trying to get the younger generations interested in slot cars, after all it will be them and their children and their children that will keep this hobby and business going. To do this with specifically targeted micro and my first slot car sets I totally get it. They should not forget the people such as yourself Woodcote that have helped carry this industry.

I have watched the 'James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain' which both mainly concentrated on model trains, again I understand this as I mentioned above. As for the new 'Hornby Hobbies - A Model History' publication, no I have not heard of this, where abouts may I obtain a copy?

I am still waiting for the 2019 Scalextric catalog which has been on back order now for five months from Australian retailer, I am close to just importing the damn thing myself including other Scalextric items such as cars as it appears the Australian retailers are either placed last on delivery schedules or forgotten about entirely, such as Pioneer cars, I simply import them myself, again being quicker than waiting and reading excuses from Australian retailers. Wonder if I should put a pre-order in now for the 2020 Scalextric Catalog!!! lol

You are a very lucky man to have had a father that passed on his interests to you, I tried myself when I was younger with my father being an Train Engineer, hauling goods, I got into model trains but sadly my father never got interested in the hobby with me which I think is strange since he used to drive trains himself, oh well.

I wouldn't expect immediate fixing on any items unless it is detrimental, however with no update being done to the track software since inception that shows that it has been forgotten and brushed aside, sadly.

I agree with you about being in this together and I think I am in this with yourself and the many other thousands of people, heck, if I wasn't I wouldn't have spent these many thousands of dollars personnally.

I will be both a collector and a racer/driver. I am also hoping down the track I will have a nice routed wooden analog or hybrid commercial track where I can be a part of the Australian Slot Car Racing scene.

I have settled, I hope, on a scenic setup with sedan (V8 Supercars) and F1 cars. As for the track am thinking along the lines of a street circuit that will both suit the sedan (V8 Supercars) and F1's.

I appreciate your feedback and input and putting me inline :) 

Johnno

• 2 weeks later...

Scalextric have announced on Facebook today that the all-new Scalextric Club will be launched at the UK Slot Car Festival next weekend. I’m looking forward to hearing all the details, but it sounds like there will be a Club-only exclusive model in 2020.

Good news! 

• 4 weeks later...

It is difficult to miss the Club on the Scalextric website at the moment! Here's the page with all the details: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/memberships

The 2020 Club car was displayed at the UK Slot Car Festival and looks fabulous...

/media/tinymce_upload/d6c70b0dc350077fa6c9b75007ea20a4.jpg

Seeing the car was enough for me and many other Scalextric enthusiasts to sign up to the Club at the Festival. Also mentioned by the Scalextric team over the weekend was the opportunity for Club members to buy other exclusive cars, enter competitions and (possibly) auctions for pre-production samples and prototypes, plus exclusive content and other competitions. The 10% discount is on cars and accessories only, not sets. That discount is available now, although we'll have to wait for the 2020 car and catalogue. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Club develops.

• 2 weeks later...

I've signed up for the club and I live in the US. Hopefully they'll send me the car and other stuff when the time comes. I keep going to the US scalextric site but don't receive the 10% discount there hopefully they work something out so it works on that site to, shipping would kill my discount. 

• 6 months later...