GWR Stock?

81F

Locos Star or Saint (or both could be produced with some creative use of alternative cylinders/piston rods. 42XX or 52XX 280 tank. 14XX without top feed - just a new boiler moulding needed here. Updated pannier tank 64XX? Wagons Iron Mink or small wooden mink (closed van) five plank open short toad - you can make one from the current Hornby model but with all that cutting you really don't want to make another! Coaches Toplights or clerestories with real panelling.

Nice choices there 81F, real panelled clerestories would be nice.

A Star with Churchward toplight coaches in a fully lined Collett livery is perennially at the top of my GWR wishlist.

On the wagon side, I'm keen to see a Mica, a Bloater and four-wheeled brown stock - like a tool van.

Hi Ozexpatriate, You can get Slater's Plasticard who do a very nice trio of toplight kits. Also Cooper/Mailcoach do an excellent toplight gangwayed brake. I've done two of the latter. They run well and I will use them with my Collett stock. They are plastic kits and build up with no difficulty except perhaps with painting and lining. All four kits are of the 57ft and not the 70ft stock. What I would like Hornby to do is a 1938 Collett 12-wheel restaurant car. Again you can get this as a kit from Comet models but if you need help with soldering and finishing then this becomes incredibly expensive. So come on Hornby and smack Bachmann in the eye!!!" Having made the "sunshine" coaches, Bachmann should have thought to do the dining car. Hornby do a twelve wheel restaurant car for L.M.S. stock - and it is very nice too - so why not one for GWR?

• 2 weeks later...
From a post above: Ozexpatriate said:
... real panelled clerestories would be nice.

A Star with Churchward toplight coaches in a fully lined Collett livery is perennially at the top of my GWR wishlist.

On the wagon side, I'm keen to

see a Mica, a Bloater and four-wheeled brown stock - like a tool van.

How careless I am - focusing on the earlier formatting problems with this forum, I completely forgot about the steam railmotor - which I would prefer in a lined

Collett liverey (no shirtbuttons). Thanks to PP for jogging my memory.

81F said:Locos Star or Saint (or both could be produced with some creative use of alternative cylinders/piston rods. 42XX or 52XX 280 tank. 14XX without top feed - just a new boiler moulding needed here. Updated pannier tank 64XX? Wagons Iron Mink or

small wooden mink (closed van) five plank open short toad - you can make one from the current Hornby model but with all that cutting you really don't want to make another! Coaches Toplights or clerestories with real panelling.

Have you looked at the Slaters Plastikard Toplight kits? They are not difficult to make up. The Coopercraft toplight gangwayed brakes (I have made up two) come up really nice but do demand that you get the back-to-back wheel measurement right at 14.4mm.

I am delighted to see the Steam Railmotor reach sixth in GWR locomotive models in the 2011 MREmag wishlist poll as well as the 'Star' in third place. The railmotor has been chugging uphill steadily over the last couple of years in this poll.

The

eight-coupled GWR tanks have been perennial favourites in the poll as none have ever been modelled RTR.

GWR 42xx 2-8-0T (74)
GWR 72xx 2-8-2T (58)
GWR 40xx 4-6-0 'Star' (50)
GWR 47xx 2-8-0 (42)
GWR 64xx 0-6-0PT (34)
GWR Steam Railmotor

(32)

Curiously Churchward 'toplight' coaches are more popular in the MREmag poll than any GWR locomotive besides the 42xx.

Churchward 'Toplight' coaches (1907-1922) (66)

I was also pleased to see the MICA B make the top of the wagon

list.

'Mica B' meat van (White) (7)
'Mica A' Meat Van (White) (1)

Curiously I did not recollect that there were two Mica alternatives in the poll. Perhaps someone can tell me the difference. I have found an on-line photographs of models of

both a Mica A and B and to my eyes they are quite indisgishable. This level of specificity is one of the issues with the MREmag poll*.

* The poll results were published during the hiatus for this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Hornby's GWR range is very poor.Only one GWR liveried Castle (which was very hard to find and isnt even on their web site) no decent GWR coaches (only the ancient bow end coaches and BR Hawkesworths in 'never carried in GWR days' GWR livery).I really think

they have treated GWR fans very poorly.

I

was surprised to find that your assertion about the Castle is correct. I searched for "tintagel castle" and there were no hits! This is remarkable given that it is in the 2011 catalogue.

Otherwise I'd say some of your comments that I did not repeat

are a bit strong. There are a number of other GWR offerings this year:
- Churchward County x2
- Hawksworth County
- 60xx King (special edition)
- 28xx (x2) 2-8-0
- 2884 2-8-0
- 2771 0-6-0PT
- Horse box (it's nice to see this again)
-

Siphon G

Some of the Skaledale "GWR" items painted yellow with green trim are a bit odd, these look GWR but in a Southern scheme which doesn't suit.

More would be nice, but it's still possible to acquire a lot of GWR equipment over time. I would

like to see another GWR-liveried Castle though.

I don't know how I restrained myself from responding to this post. I must have missed the beatification

and canonization of PP. ;)

Apparently Gabriel the Archangel is the patron saint of postal workers and stamp collectors. GWR No. 2922 "Saint Gabriel" anyone?

I have had a cSlaters toplight half built for about six months now mounted on Coopercraft (mailcoach I think) american bogies (technically too long but not noticeably so) am trying to pluck up courage to finish.

However I fear my coach painting standardards are not up to those of Hornby's!

• 1 month later...

Archived