R351 and r317

Bought a r351 in the old type box the first ones its got 1984 on the box also got a r317 with the white face the thomas has some little bits of tape on both ends of the box is that how they would come from hornby or has it been put on after the tape is old and gone discouled  it is the tape I don’t think it’s ever been opened don’t want to cut it because it wont be the same finding it hard to upload pic from iPhone thanks kirk 

Hi Kirkm3238,I donot know how to upload photos from a phone.

If you ask how to do that in the forum section, I am sure there are many willing members who will advise you how to do it.

Once I see a photo of the box I would be able to compare with the early boxes I have.

Off the top of my head, I think the very first boxes had no pictures of Percy,or Duck.

Percy was released after Thomas then duck.

Also may be a early varitation with no or different style of side labels.

I have early  Thomas rolling stock boxes which were generic, no label on either side and a stick on label on front, see photo.

I have normal rolling stock boxes sealed at both ends but they were export to  Sweden or Denmark, see photo.

The only sealed at both end boxes I have seen have been normal range loco boxes. i.e. Silver seal locos.

/media/tinymce_upload/38eaeecf25b58a85ddd260003451399b.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/892ba18eef8c0b5ae23fe6f84887de18.JPG

Both ends of box same, blank.

/media/tinymce_upload/926fab64edd49661d26ffe26c87a1ef3.JPG

stick on label.

/media/tinymce_upload/8ce289fefb834f943e7627fd16bc9572.JPG

Sealed rolling stock box,Export label,one side, other normal 'R' number and contents label

Thanks the r317 diesel  has no pic on the front it says 1983 on the back but instuctions say 1989 on them he looks like he has never been used not a mark on him his wheels r all brand new he has the white face on him and the r351 one has a white face 

@Kirkm5238

The reason why your R317 Diesel has a copyrighted box of 1984, is because this when Hornby first purchased The World of Thomas the Tank Engine license, for 1985 when Hornby first officially launched the Thomas range. All of the small locomtives shared the same printed box, until the packaging type and printing changed in the late 1990's.

R317 Diesel, which the very first release of Diesel was announced and released in 1987. Your model was made in 1989, so this must have been when the second batch was made, which I assume all of the white faced Devious Diesel's were made in.

Also, the white faced R317 Diesel is rare. Myself and new lad on block both have this model. Most of the R317 Diesel's have a dark grey face. Well done; A good find.  😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

hi what do what do you think white face diesel r317  is worth it looks to be in unused condition do is the Thomas im sure Thomas has never left the box till I cut the tape how rare is the Thomas with red face would like to swap him for one of them thanks kirk 

• 4 months later...

@Kirkm5238

I do apolgise greatly, I have just found reply now, on the 19/12/2019, that you made on the 30/07/2019! I had no clue until now, that you had even replied!  😳

R317 Diesel with the white face is rare, but not as rare as R9684 Murdoch, let's say. I would say a factory sealed box and untoched / unused model woukd be worth £100.00 perhaps, if not, more. It really depends what people are willing to pay, at the time the sale / auction is being made at.

When you say "Thomas with the red face", I assume you mean either:

• R9104 Thomas the Tank Engine, with the pristine body Thomas, with the tired worn out face, exclusive to ModelZone in 2009 and limited production of only 500 models.
  • R9260 Thomas & The Great Discovery Train Set from 2008, which included an exclusive Thomas, with the same tired face and muddy body.

Which one are talking about, or are talking aout both?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)