Golden Hinde 1/72

Ratch

• 1 year later...

Hi A born again modeler building the Modelspace Spitfire which is chalenging, over the years I have made hundreds of Airfix kits mainly planes but as I have a keen interest in all things nautical I would like to build the Airfix Golden Hinde over the winter months, It is for sale direct but I am curious that on fleebay there are a couple of special edition kits, can anyone tell me if there is anything diferent to the one on sale here ?

Regards

Chris

I haven't bought one of the new release large scale ships but from what I've read in magazines they include some form of jig to help you create the shrouds & ratlines.  In the older issues they used to be premoulded in soft plastic and were very unrealistic. If you buy one of the old kits you will get those "old" style ratlines.  Sorry I can't be more specific but I am waiting to buy the Revenge and Royal Sovereign once these are re-released with these new ratlines ...... It's only then I will really know what they are all about!  Perhaps someone else on this site has bought one of these new vintage releases.  I don't plan to buy one of the older issues but will be going one of these new releases.

It would be a big ask to get pristine mouldings and perfect fit from tooling that is over 40 years old that may have undergone possibly hundreds of thousands of cycles. When looking at old kits sometimes it's best to look at acquiring an initial or earlier boxing, the mouldings are likely to be much crisper. I'm a bit sceptical about reviews by returning modellers, their memory of something they built several decades ago is likely to be viewed through rose tinted specs and the review much less nuanced than an old hand modeller.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished my special edition Golden Hind a couple of months ago, (which I posted in the Airfix kit review) and had absolutely No problems with the kit regards fitting or otherwise, infact I would say its definitely one of the better kits.

/media/tinymce_upload/f56a4cb92bfa1bdb86d6405f45c0d662.jpg