Hornby delivery costs extreme

Leighton Cook

Here are some Royal Mail postage rates as downloaded today off the net for your information.

Edit1 Where are you sending to?

Australia

Edit2 What are you sending?

Parcel, 0.5kg, worth up to £100

Edit3 What size is your parcel?

Small Parcel

4 How much will it cost?Showing 5 servicesThe results are displayed in a default order.

Prices marked * are exempt from VAT. All other prices are VAT inclusive. In the event of the UK leaving the EU with 'No Deal', please visit www.royalmail.com/brexit for the latest update on how this will impact customs, VAT and charges. Due to volumetric charging, Parcelforce prices may be subject to change. Please visit www.parcelforce.com for a detailed quote.

ServiceSpeedCoverTrackingPriceOnline PriceRoyal MailInternational TrackedMore details5 to 7 working daysdelivery aimUp to £250for loss or damageDelivery Confirmation£16.50£16.30Buy onlineRoyal MailInternational SignedMore details5 to 7 working daysdelivery aimUp to £250for loss or damageWithin UK£16.50£16.30Buy onlineParcelforce WorldwideglobalexpressMore detailsFrom 3 daysdeliveryUp to £200for loss or damageTracked£63.70Buy now on parcelforce.comParcelforce WorldwideglobalpriorityMore detailsFrom 5 daysdeliveryUp to £100for loss or damageTracked£47.50Buy now on parcelforce.comParcelforce WorldwideglobalvalueMore details6-10 daysdelivery aimUp to £100for loss or damageNot Tracked£34.55Only available at a Post Office®

[1] I live in Australia

[2] Received email about joining Hornby Collector Club

[3] Used my gift voucher and selected free postage

[4] Declined with message "

• We are sorry, we cannot process your order as we cannot deliver 2019 Hornby Collector Club UK Postal – with Free Loco to Australia. Please remove it from your basket to continue.

[5] Postage GBP 45.83. required with only the new membership application in "shopping basket" - the nett weight of membership and loco is less than 500g

[6] I can buy items from Oxforddiecast Models United Kingdom in a box size 300mm X 240mm X 90mm weight 500g Airmail via Royal Mail costing me GBP6.95.

[7] Why not allow a more reasonable postal rate through Royal Mail Postage as I receive from other U.K sellers?

[8] I had the same "lack of service" attitude when I visited Hornby at Margate 4 years ago with the intention of spending quite a large sum of money on their then poorly stocked premises. The reason given to me was that the business was relocating to a new site but the business is still located in Margate to my knowlege - please correct me if I am wrong.

[9] Makes me wonder if any international people ever join the Hornby Collector Club with this sort of postage price gouging.

Do the U.K. members think that this international postage is excessive when the U.K. members get their membership posted for free?

Any help would be appreciated - like for instance , I join the Hornby Collectors Club and use the address of a reliable and trusted Hornby Forum member to initially receive the parcel and then they onforward the parcel to me in Australia.  I will pay the additional Royal Mail International Postage via PayPal to the member for his help.

Any offers????

😛 See the Aussies whinge too!

it has been like this since forever.  Hornby price themselves out of the os market with their postage, even when they gave a discount to Club members who could join at an os rate incl delivering the Club model.

And the cheapest option has always been the box-shifters in UK who deduct VAT automatically (with Hornby you have to ask) and deliver here at less than the going Oz price.

Update to my statement of distress!!

All is not lost as I received an email from:-

"Simon Kohler

HORNBY Marketing & Product Development Director"

Quote:- " Many thanks for your understanding and although I will make no promises I am determined to put a package together to attract our Hornby friends on the other side of the World." end Quote. 

I hope to hear some updates as to Simon Kohler`s success for a postage package to attract all the  Hornby friends of the World and I will informed any progress with this postage issue via The Hornby Forum.

Cheers and thanks to Simon for his acknowledgement and resolve to fix this postage issue. 😀

Although it wasn't me....I do know that one of the other 'Community Moderators' brought your post to Simon's attention. It's not for me to say who.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Chris but the wheels of change grind ever so slowly!!

Still the same postage rates are offerred @ Hornby as at 22/11/2019.

Delivery HORNBY:-

How much is postage and packing?

Our worldwide delivery rates are as follows:CountriesDelivery CostOffersUnited Kingdom£4.98FREE when you spend over £50Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands£12FREE when you spend over £150Austria, Denmark, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Spain, Portugal£17FREE when you spend over £160Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Poland, Slovenia, USA£30FREE when you spend over £200Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, Philippines, Romania, Singapore£50FREE when you spend over £125

Argentina, Australia, Chile, India, Iceland, New Zealand, Switzerland, South Africa

£50FREE when you spend over £250

I brought the matter to Hornby’s attention as it was unlikely anyone in staff would spot your post or react to a public forum post.

As you say you have had direct contact from Simon on the matter do you not think it would be simple curtesy to email him back first to see how things are going rather than re-bleat about it on the forum. You are in a better position than most to progress the matter with Simon, then come back to the forum with any positive news. If I were Simon I would be a bit miffed about it.

Thanks RAF96 for your comments and the initial contact with Simon as to this protracted International postal cost issue.

As to your comment as to, I quote, "If I were Simon I would be a bit miffed about it " I completely understand where you are comming from but I am sure that Simon Kohler the Marketing & Product Development Director would understand the frustration for International Hornby buyers over the previous years just wanting to join the Hornby Club to find out that the International Postage for the Asia Pacific Region etc. is extremely excessive @ £50 or FREE when you spend over £250.

The same postage rates applies to buying spare parts or small value items for international buyers.

As a retired senior administration C.E.O. I am well aware of company policy priorities but I am sure that my query as to the International Postage cost is not the only one over the previous years.

I have contacted Simon Kohlerr for an update and will keep the Hornby Forum in the loop.

• 1 month later...

A great day for Hornby Club members outside the U.K. as the copy of my email to Simon Kohler the Marketing & Product Development Director testifies:-

Leighton Cook07:40 (4 minutes ago)  cleardot.gifcleardot.gifto Simoncleardot.gif  Hi Simon,What a great day for The Rest Of The World Hornby Club Members!!!!I just joined and NO SHIPPING WAS CHARGED to Australia!!!I thank you and Hornby for this exceptional service and I hope that you will make the "FREE SHIPPING" for new club members more promenant on your Webb Site so as more potential members will join this famous Hornby Club. A job well done indeed!Cheers,Leighton Cook.

Good work on this Leighton, and also to Simon Kohler for agreeing to have a look at what might be done.  As with most international customers I'm sure I've bought from half a dozen or so UK stores, large and small, and they are all capable of getting the shipping charge down to a bearable amount.  It's hard to understand why Hornby hasn't been able to mimick this thus far.

HK.

That is great news to hear that the postage rate to ROW got settled. I've been a Club member since about 2000/1. Though I am not sure what way this will work out in the end, but my pre-orders of single items even for the 100th Gold Plated Badge is: Subtotal £2.99 Postage & Packing £4.98 Tax £1.33 Total £7.97.

Whether the P&P of £4.98 will stay the same for all of my single or any pre-orders under £50, I'll have to wait and see what happens when dispatched. As it currently stands this Club member will be paying the same P&P as a non Club member even though I am in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Explanation for the above post:-

The above email response is from Simon Kohler, Marketing & Product Development Director, to me when I thanked him for the postage to Australia being  "NIL" for joining the Hornby Club.

A great outcome for overseas Hornby model train buyers who wish to join this Hornby Club for the yearly benefits this club provides its members etc. etc.

Cheers & thanks Hornby from a happy camper!!!!

I have purchased in the other direction from Oz to UK and found postage extremely reasonable to the point where a few weeks ago I bought a well known US manufacturer's keep alive unit for same price as here in UK but saved a couple of quid on postage. It was here in 3 days!

I seem to remember prior to EU there were Commonwealth parcel rates which were well below those for posting to "foreign" countries. Maybe we might see a return if we can get rid of the "level playing field" wherever or whatever that is. I think I may have played on it.

If anyone can sort this out for Hornby customers our dear friend Simon will that is for sure.