Wheel cleaning tool

2e0dtoeric

I took up this hobby about 2 years ago at the request of my grandson (that's my excuse anyway). Since then I have been an avid reader of the Forum as it has provided me with endless tips and guidance throughout my initial learning phase. I have been constantly amazed at the ingenuity of the site's members and how they tackled problems across the whole model railway spectrum. One area I have never seen mentioned before though (until today) is that of the "wheel cleaning tool". My untutored way of dealing with this problem, which I have found works well (though I will stand corrrected by the more experienced Forum members I'm sure), is simply to use a cotton bud dipped in a little white spirit. This seems to get most of the muck off my locos' wheels if done every few months or so. Phew, so that's my first post done!

All very fascinating...... but we still don't know how good this new cleaning pen is.  😛   BTW what is the best method of removing the dirty end of a fibre pen ? I don't much fancy cutting the end off in view of the nasty micro -bits flying around.

I have one and just cleaned every wheel on an ebay merchant navy that was pretty dirtyt. It worked very well for me - the nib holds it's shape well and is very controllable and doesn't seem to wear. It aso doesn't seem to mind getting soaked in IPA

Well that was fast service I ordered on evening of 24th and it arrived today at 11.15, it comes as a mechanical pencil. The body contains a white detailing "lead" and in the pack is also a black "lead" for cleaning off hard dirt. You load which ever lead you wish to use and then put on the end cap and press on it to expose the lead at the tip end. I tried it on my smallest wheels on a loco. The black lead first followed by the white. Good result, easy to use. The instructions say to sharpen the point using sandpaper. To clean it I used a tissue.

There is also a soft drawstring bag to keep the pencil in. The instruction sheet is brief but then it's quite easy to work out how to use it.