Ships in 1/350 scale?

paul-muc

Ships of the 1970's Royal Navy - a deplorably overlooked period (for models) which saw the last of the Cruisers and CATOBAR Aircraft Carriers as well as ships with more than one main gun! And which saw the introduction of the newer 'style' of modern warships. Tribal Class frigates, Type 12 and Leander Class (with options for all 4 weapon fits), County Class destroyers (both all gun and gun/exocet fits), Type 21 and 22 frigates, Type 42 destroyers, HMS Bristol Type 82, Tiger / Blake / Lion Cruisers, Centaur Class - Hermes / Bulwark / Albion as Commando Carriers, Audacious Class Fleet Carriers Eagle R05 and Ark Royal R09. All in 1/350 of course.

Leanders and County's were for me the last RN ships that actually looked like warships.

I would give my right arm for an Ark Royal R09 as she appeared in 1978 in pretty much any scale as I served in her on her final commission, but there is much interest as she was/is such a well known ship largely thanks to the BBC Sailor series.

• 3 months later...

With the release of three new kits from Ark Royal's air wing, Phantom, Bucc and Sea King, and another possibly making an appearance in the new catalogue, it would be nice to think of Airfix bringing out the 1976 Ark, as a 1/350th kit. Airfix only have 3 models in this scale, so the Ark would be a very popular release. A possible future super kit. There are a lot of ships available in this scale, of RN Subjects. Most of these are resin kits by Atlantic Models. If a kit was released, the etched set would not be long behind it, as Peter Hall has already built one from scratch.

Hi Jolie……regarding your comment below
I would give my right arm for an Ark Royal R09 as she appeared in 1978 in pretty much any scale as I served in her on her final commission, but there is much interest as she was/is such a well known ship largely thanks to the BBC Sailor series.

Seaway models/Fujumi makes an early fit out of Ark Royal R09 in 1/700th scale that could, with a fair amount of work, be built up as the late 70’s fit out. The hull and maybe some of the superstructure could be used. Everything else would have to be acquired from other kits or scratch built. You would need a good set of line drawings to do this accurately. Having said this, 1/700th is a more challenging scale to build in as compared to 1/350th or even 1/600th.

I have Eagle R05 in the stash as it is a good comparison to the Essex (CV-09) class (Hancock also in the stash) as they were laid down during the same period but to a different design criteria. A Midway (CV-41) Class unit would nicely round out that comparison. A verification of the Audacious Class design is that the later Midways similarly had armoured flight decks and Ark Royal’s stout structure allowed her to operate the very large/heavy Phantom and Buccaneer.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Responding to an old post, but in short, yes please. I'd be most interested in the Queen Elizabeth/Prince of Wales carrier.

2— The wind powered Enterprises of old. These would be small kits, so not the pocket-pillager the QE/PoW carrier would be; however, a good bet is anyone wanting to complete their Star Trek lineage collection would scoop these up. I certainly would.

3— I'd also suggest the Civil War Monitors since these aren't big, complicated ships. Due to their simplicity, they could be marketed to beginner modellers..?

4— Okay, as for another ϋber-crazy suggestion: The ships of the Great White Fleet: there, I said it.

Thanks for humoring me! :D