ARC App

RobCab

Yes, but a windows-based app would be much, much easier to broadcast the arc app from a laptop to a larger screen so that 6 drivers can actually see the screen while they are racing.  It is fantastic to have wireless controllers that let 6 racers spread out, but we end up having all 6 drivers standing right next to each other just to look at the arc app lap and lap times on a phone or I-Pad screen.  

Windows version would allow us to run this off a laptop using bluetooth and then we could project to a large screen.  I have tried at least 5 different methods (minix, screen orientation, Fire OS, etc.) to get the i-pad to a larger TV and each one of them has came up short.  You can check slot forum and other sources, but nobody has been able to figure this out.  The portrait mode vs. landscape mode is particularly frustrating.  

A windows-based option would elevate the Arc Pro system to the level of graphical display that Carrera owners and Scalextric owners using the 7042 with RMS have enjoyed for years.

So much promise and potential with the Arc System.  The App is definately holding the system back. 

Chris

Hi Chris - a windows app would certainly be handy for those who prefer Windows platforms, but as the app is designed exclusively to run in portrait mode, that's how a Windows version would look too...

As I suggested on the other thread, it is very fiddly to use a vertical external monitor to show the ARC screen - but it's not impossible. An Android device cast to a Chromecast device (with output orientation selection) is the easiest option. There are limitations with Apple, but it is possible to do it with Apple TV and a TV / monitor that offers portrait mode in its set-up menu. Another option is via a Mac or PC using software such as Reflector. None of these are simple - and require extra hardware or software - and with some TVs and monitors it may not work. You might also get a slight time lag, especially with the software option. I believe a Fire tablet cast to the latest Fire TV sticks also does the job, but I have not tried this yet.

My preferred option is a simple Lightning-to-HDMI lead connected to a digital projector - then the black bars either side are irrelevent and the image is as big as you want it to be. I've also connected (via a VGA lead) to an old 4:3 monitor and the black bars are certainly narrower than on a modern 16:9 wide screen.

The maximum number of people I've had racing ARC Pro with just my 9.7" iPad was four. With use of the controller rumble and audio prompts it was fine. I agree that with six it would be a little cozy and defeats the object of being able to spread out round the track with the wireless controllers. At our club we use RCS64 with the C7042 and find drivers rarely use the screen - especially if we are using team race formats where info from the screen is being relayed by team mates or the race controller.

There is, of course, the Magic ARC app as an alternative. Scalextric released the Bluetooth communication protocols for the ARC powerbases early last year (2018) and - so far - Cristiano is the only developer to release another app for ARC. Like with the Scalextric C7042 and Carrera Digital 132/124 (PC link and AppConnect), it is only when independent developers get involved that the potential of the system is really achieved.

ARC Pro is an entry-level digital system and the ARC app is a pretty good entry-level companion. Going beyond that, I would very much like to see someone take the system forward with either an app or a PC-based RMS (when Scalextric release the USB communication protocol).

• 2 weeks later...

The Scalextric ARC app has been around for over 5 years now and it has only ever been available in iOS, Android and Fire OS versions. The Magic ARC app developed by Cristiano Ruisi does have a Windows version, so that might be worth looking at: www.magicstudio.eu/index.php/games/arcapp

Thanks for yuor response. I am aware of Magic Arc and I am using it. I do believe Scalextric should bring out a windows version themselves. I am just wondering if it is on the drawing board at all. I suppose I am finding it difficult to find information about Scalextric future thinking in terms of improvements, new products, advancements, timelines etc. 

I think a Windows version of the ARC app is unlikely... but that's only my opinion and I am always happy to be proved wrong.

As for future thinking... any company in a competitive marketplace will keep that sort of information very close to their chests - I am sure Scalextric's competitors would love to know all their future plans even more than we do! However, the 2020 Scalextric range is unveiled on Monday (6 January) - so their plans for the next 12 months will be there for all to see. And if we read between the lines, we might be able to make some guesses about the direction Scalextric are heading in the next few years?

Happy New Year!

An important thing to consider is that every platform has it own rules and requirements for getting approal to use said platform.

There are also other cost issues involved.

As woodcote mentions, ARC is aimed at the mobile market and as of right now that is iOs and Android...

But never say never...