Hornby Thomas Extension packs.

Hi, At this time of year perhaps Hornby Thomas items have been purchased for preesents.

It may be that you wish to extend your Thomas trainset / layout.Normally you would use the Thomas range of exstension packs to create a larger layout.Unfortunately as Hornby has discontinued the packs necessary, here is a list and photos of the packs which could be used and their contents.

Two points to note.

Thomas track is identical to the normal current range of Hornby track, only the outer packaging is diffetent.

The other point is that Hornby produced two different series of add-on track products for Thomas layouts.

.First one, is for the R9057 trackmat, you only need three packs.

Two of Pack A, and Pack B.

There are two differnt types of Pack A, the one you need for this layout is R9058, NOT R9075.

/media/tinymce_upload/9fc0c7386843156c4a0a480413ffe6b7.JPG

Two of pack A one Pack B. Note in Pack A, is First radius curve.If you have larger locomotives, they may find it hard to negotiate the curve, better to replace with  Second Radius.

/media/tinymce_upload/d7368c63655ccc613d5fa3e11f4b8391.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f3d5abef6c37e876602439b045d83f70.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b60005f498f898943681189c3ffa9180.JPG

Packs show the contents, may be easier to source as seperates.

Second type of layout, next post.

This post is about the Extension packs for the  Thomas, R9086 Trackmat.

Unfortunately I donot have the R9076 B Pack to photograph, when I get one will upload.

Instead of listing contents have taken photos with contents listed.

/media/tinymce_upload/a3bc2cb0919b8f7842e4879c745190e8.JPG

Pack A, R9075. Pack C, R9077.

/media/tinymce_upload/a9b2af775d1524b496af5d62751984ef.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b9a1da6f7162ea2cb9d390ffbf9cf99c.JPG

Pack B,

No photo but contents are:-

2 X R600 Standard Straights.

1 X r8073 R/H Point.

4 X R607 2nd. Radius Double Curve.

1 X R606 2nd. Radius Standard Curve.

1 X R083 Buffer Stop./media/tinymce_upload/619de8d15645df0cf00396115a88b72d.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/d4e6321b04abd39832d611168d08c995.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/5956c46ad9cdb7510479020bdb5e383a.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/90d54355b481c2b7e484586ab92babf0.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/93317ff36ea46ec6f6aa5a19c9ccdd75.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/2f8735ab176983640488b789d60aae65.JPG

Hornby has produced Track packs which are identical to the Thomas ones.These are:-

Pack B, R9076 same as R8222.

Pack C, R9077 same as R8223.

Pack D, R9078 same as R8224.

Pack E, R9079 same as R8225.

Once again may be cheaper to obtain the packs as seperate items.

Great post new lad on block, but these Hornby Thomas & Friends Extension Packs are really difficult to get hold of. They were discontinued in 2011 and the track is Hornby's standard track, inside a Thomas & Friends branded box; Meaning it's got nothing to do with the brand!  😆

Standard range Extention Packs will do the job. I don't know Hornby ever released Thomas & Friends branded versions, but they didn't need to.

Thanks for the images.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi Gordon, I thought that others may buy the older trainsets, then try to find the Hornby Thomas packs which are promoted. I agree they are hard to find, but by knowing what track pieces are in the relevent packs they can be sourced individually.

There is not an  exact replacement (as packs) for Thomas Packs A & F.

When released the Thomas range did sell at a preminium, but consumers think that if they had a Thomas set they needed to buy Thomas branded merchantise.

But consumers who had a Thomas & Friends Train Set did not need to buy the Thomas & Friends Track Expansion Packs. I have had a think since my last post in this thread, as to why Hornby may have released them, may have been to add addtional profit from having the Thomas & Friends license at the time, without releasing a new locomotive, coach or wagon.

I could be wrong of course, but that's what I have come up with. I am sure the Hornby Thomas & Friends Track Expansion Packs costed more than the standard Hornby boxed range did as the time, so buying the standadrd range packs at the time would also save you money!

Packs A & F as you have told me were different, the others must have been the same then?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Well I'll try and be polictically correct, as sometimes the buyers of the Thomas range, sometimes knew very little of model railways.Probably buying for the kids, grandkids etc.I expect as the Boxes looked the same, with similar artwork they would buy the accessories when a larger product i.e. was being bought.

I think Hornby did very little new tooling for the Thomas range, just changed colours, packaging etc.

Hornby Thomas & Friends Train Set owners of the older sets who wanted the Hornby Thomas & Friends Track Extension Packs, surely would have them by now, as it's pointless and too costly too look now! Just buy the current generation Hornby Track Extension Packs or buy track sold invidually is the best bet, really.

Correct, Hornby did produce very little tooling for the Thomas & Friends and the majority of it were modified, or slightly modified, or un modified existing toolings, adding faces instead of snokebox doors and creating new paint colours and decals for the models. That's more or less it.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

You are right Gordon, but there is very little information about Thomas track packs.

Upto now, they have  not been discussed on this forum.

So like other posts, this can be used as reference material.

The post hopefully explains which are genuine track packs and what components you need to get the same result if you cannot find them, to complete a layout.