Airfix QUICK BUILD: M&S Branded Boxes

NWR-Gordon-4

Whilst searching eBay, I have come across several Airfix QUICK BUILD kits / sets, in boxes with the 'M&S' logo underneath the 'Airfix' logo. The boxes are black and light grey coloured, instead of the usual orange colour.

Does anybody know why these versions exist? I don't go to M&S shops very often, but I when I have done, I have never seen these sold there. I assume the stock I have seen on eBay, was originally sold by M&S? I am just puzzled as to why they exisit and to why Hornby Hobbies have personalized these with the M&S logo on.

If anyone knows why these exist, please comment below. Thank you.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

I see. Why personalize the boxes though in M&S bradning, so the kits can't be sold in other shops, apart from at M&S?

Exclusive to M & S i.e. a deal with M & S exclusively for M & S. They've had similar tie-ups with Hobbycraft, plus we're all familiar with the Aldi/Lidl specials, but without the exclusive packaging.

@Paul Brown and @Ratch

Thank you both, for your information.  😀

Hornby Hobbies appears to have had exclusive products sold at M&S for a long time. In the Hornby model railways brand, exclusive Train Sets have sold at M&S with their logo on in the past, as well. It appears to be not exlusive to none of the brands that Hornby Hobbies own.

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

You bet! I remember going with my mum to Woollies when I was 6 or 7 years old and drooling over the Airfix display ..... a shopping trip there meant a new series one kit for half a crown so thereabouts! 

(For the young'yuns ......  half a crown = 2 shillings sixpence ..... or in today's monopoly money = 25p)

How times have changed!