"The green ghost" 1/72 RAAF Beaufighter

Peter s

Apparently one form of madness is to endlessly attempt to freehand perfect circles. My variation on this is to endlessly do MkX beaufighters. Its a favourite plane and its such a brilliant kit that I always feel I could have done better. My friend Shaun in brisbane has got me interested in RAAF aircraft from WW2 so that gave me the idea to try something different. I've had a stab at converting the standard airfix to the similar Aussie built Mk 21. The most obvious difference is that its got a weird nose bump. Also only 2 wing lights. Like a total muppet I drilled wing guns in line with the ejector ports then found out that the Mk21 carried 4x .50 cal in the wings not 6x .303. Doh.... everything else worked out nicely. The nose "BUMP" whatever it actually is was scratched nicely from the nose cone of a harpoon missile plus some filler.

Pics to follow in subsequent posts

Post #2. Most of you have seen this plane built so I'll keep it short and sweet:

/media/tinymce_upload/bc22b7504eb5827990770df3f2cc596e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/70d23936523a71e68cd42327d9316f31.jpg

I've loads of rather useless Tamiya rattle cans best part used so used a Luftwaffe dark green as a base coat then lightly oversprayed Vallejo model colour gunship green which is a good match for Aussie foliage green. Decals came from Australia and cost a small fortune. Panel lines were picked out with black pencil and additional weathering at this stage using mig pigments.

andf post 3 final job:

/media/tinymce_upload/3fc5a32d3d4c7b1211c71439f92ed3a7.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2c60fbb572c53519b982fb5b4f94f433.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b033fb6b981f7aacf950342635a82c5e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/e6e2f66b1c53e9357ac1f120fff228d2.jpg

I've sneaked an enemy in for the final shot (Ki 43) ! I used a load of AK interactive products for the final weathering. Enamel wet oil around the engines. The engine rings were built up using their coloured metalic wax. They shouldn't be bronze, rather heat damaged steel. I started with copper then thin coats of gun metal and finally metalic blue. More mig pigments on the tyres also a thin solution of mig pigment in enamel thinner on the props.

Bit of a short and sweet one here. Hope you like. Personally I think its my best beau but there's still room for improvement.... God help me when the Beaufort arrives.

Very nice Beaufighter. I believe the lump on the nose was something to do with the autopilot system.

Correct it was a housing for the Sperry gyroscopic autopilot. The gubbins itself must have been too big to fit cleanly behind the panel, hence the bulged fairing.

Well i must say I like the finish. But I also have to say that the Sherry autopilot fairing looks a little like a carbuncle. I’ve checked some pictures of the real thing and can appreciate that it’s not easy to create this fairing from scratch.

In my opinion, this looks a good model and I like the pairing of it’s potential enemy. Thank you for sharing.

There is a company called High Planes Models that does a conversion set for the Airfix Beaufighter to produce the Australian version. I have not done the conversion so cannot say how good it is. I merely put it out there.

As an Aussie who cannot get enough models of RAAF aircraft from the Pacific Theatre I would love to see Airfix do the Beaufighter Mk. X with RAAF markings. 

Thanks all! I did notice when building this one that there seemed hints of an earlier model planned for the kit. Alternative supercharger and twin holes on each wing looked like bomb mounts. Any ideas if a mkvi was considered then not followed through?

/media/tinymce_upload/e137b4e6d3be7b816e69d3efaddbfa8f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e5915af3fdae8220f7589d9160f919be.jpg

Those were the days, I think I have one of these lurking in the loft stash. Frog modified the tooling by adding the Sperry bump to the fuselage halves and added a couple of bombs.

I think anything is possible with respect to future Airfix releases, it's a question of remaining patient.

I remember the old Frog kit.  From memory not great.  One word of warning with doing the Australian Mk. 21, I do not believe they were fitted to be able to carry torpedoes.  My reference for this is the excellent Stewart Wilson book Beaufort, Beaufighter and Mosquito in Australian Service.

I remember the old Frog kit.  From memory not great.

The basic outlines are pretty good, apart from the engine cowlings that are awful, but as with most Frog kits it fails on detail. I had a plan that involved Paragon Designs Hercules nacelles and quite a bit of scratch building, then along came the Hasegawa kits and more recently Airfix, so it's on ice until I get an urge to fettle some vintage plastic.

• 2 weeks later...