Micro de-soldering.

Howbi

I re-attached the black wire on to the R7274 decoder and thought I had done a good job but on examination under the microscope I find the solder has leached over to the adjoing pad.......how do I remove the excess solder bearing in mind the minuteness?............HB

/media/tinymce_upload/b87e68a9d6645512f280e03e035fab59.png

Use de-soldering wick braid.

Ideally the PCB needs to be held securely in a clamp or a small vice so that it doesn't move and both hands are free.

As a one off emergency fix. You can emulate the function of the wick braid as a 'one off' event as follows. Take a short length of relatively thick multi-strand wire. Say for example a couple of inches of wire taken from some 5 amp flex.

Strip off about 15mm of wire insulation and flatten the mufti-strands into a flat strip about 2 or 3mm wide.

Spread and work some soldering flux into the strands.

Hold the fluxed multi-strand against the solder blob.

Now using a clean shiny soldering iron bit, tinned but not in itself blobby with solder. Press the iron against the area of the blob such that the fluxed multi-strand is sandwiched between the blob and the iron.

The blob should be drawn into the fluxed multi-strand via capillary action.

Work quickly and remove the iron and fluxed multi-strand away from the PCB in one single action.

The original wire may come away as well, but no issue, just resolder the wire back again using less solder on the iron.

I have exactly the same de-soldering station (mine also has the soldering iron attached to it) and I can definitely recommend it as well.

It was one of the best things I ever bought and don't know how I ever managed without it.

If the company I worked for had one of these we might actually have been able to mend things!!!