An Airfix photographic App

Ratch

So with Lockdown , I have a bit more time on my hands and have been experimenting with trying to insert my models into a  real world background  , it's a learning curve so it's not great yet .

However it got me thinking that maybe one way for airfix to capture the younger market would be to create an app where you photograph your model and insert it into an appropriate background either using a historic photo or an appropriate one say  the hangars at Duxford or a North Africsn Desert etc  or a diorama using some of their buildings 

That way younger modellers could share their creations on Instagram or whatever is in at the moment and some of us older modellers could have fun too 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its a really good idea. I used to do this when I first started modelling aircraft as an adult. Finding a good backdrop on google images is quite easy. Dropping the planes onto the photo was hard. My wife is better at photoshop than me but between us what I used to do was hang the plane on fishing line in front of a plain background that is a completely different colour from any part of the plane. In the end it turned out flourescent green-yellow vinyl was best (like TV green-screen). You could then cut the plane out of the pic, drag it onto the photo then "flatten it" to make one image. Some worked a lot better than others but generally it was the cutting out and dragging that was a problem. An app that would recognise a plane shape and be easier to manipulate than photoshop would be brilliant but I suspect a fairly challenging technical matter and possibly quite expensive. Generally I've found I get a better effect with a good "real" backdrop but these are also quite expensive. Jessops the photo store used to do A3 blow ups of photos and some google images are high def enough that they blow up well. Here's a few of my photoshop pics from a long time ago. 

/media/tinymce_upload/3fd08e30db0b81342cd5f460885f1c06.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d0e8a966f06608dc21f2e741c530747d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/aed9319dc68c7d5b78b794b92624ffcc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1cda07364198f2e81c86ed466ae78156.jpg

Airfix Club Mig-15... you can see the green-yellow backdrop through the canopy.

/media/tinymce_upload/b3f2782f158d4f90b4c8896bd5b4d621.jpg

The final one is an old Airfix 109-G attacking the real Sally-B in her memphis belle scheme. They're fun to do but time consuming.

• 2 months later...

Nice, I think it is a nice idea which can develop yourself. A good idea will be to open an instagram account, I think people will be interested in your hobby ( a lot of them like game, scientific, graphic thematics). Maybe you will be able to make money from this. If you want to improve your insta page (to make it more popular) you should try autolike to instagram posts, it is a really good platform which allows you to increase the number of followers, likes, comments, views and so on.