Sugar cube speakers

BlightyExPat

I noted someone on the web refering to an 'iPhone' speaker and being used with a TTS decoder.

Given that most sugar cube speakers probably originate from the East, has anyone tried using one of the many options available for direct purchase from China? Typically, they are less than £3, and that includes postage, which is much cheaper than what's on offer here.

Not sure if all such phone speakers are 8 ohms, which is an important consideration, and I can't find any reference to their impedance when I check these foreign supplier web sites.

There is a guy that advertises on EBay for different size iphone speakers, he does two sizes, he is in Leeds. They are 8 ohms, I use them in all my TTS and Zimo decoder applications, unless it doesn't fit. They are particularly good in Bachmanns as they fit in the top. They are really thin so they fit in many places that others won't. I think the sound quality is really good. I will add I have nothing to do with his company, I just like the product. I think it is him on YouTube that has a video comparing speakers, it is really informative. I think he charges about £5=00 plus p and p which is not excessive.

Maybe Hornby will change their standard TTS speaker for something ‘better’ with regard to installed sound quality by way of tuneable enclosures and smaller size and all within the TTS retro kit cost.

Wishful thinking of course ...

/media/tinymce_upload/e1a10dc1c5ae0a9479d033f27f3dd687.JPG

If you are sourcing speakers from China then please make sure they are 8 ohms impedance and at least 1 watt capable or you risk overloading the decoder sound amplifier.

@RAF96 I nearly thought it was true until I read a bit further down. I did try one of my locos with factory fitted TTS and speaker and surprisingly it sounded OK. I normally have to buy a speaker when I purchase a Zimo sound decoder, so it is not an issue buying one for the TTS. The only problem, I have got is this pile of Hornby speakers, that it seems a shame to throw away.

Oh I forgot, are they that much cheaper in China? They also seem to take over a month to come.

The guy in Leeds usually posts within a day. I think the iphone speakers sound better than than the sugar cube. I have a combination of sugar cube and iphone in all my locos. Iphone ones because they are thinner tend to fit better in Hornby tenders where they have modellelled the coal bunker properly, but have reduced the space in the tender significantly.

I'm pretty sure all of these originate from the East. The eBay option seems to be an iPhone 6s speaker.

I accept that it may take a while to arrive from the East but £4.22 for 10 pieces is a good deal.

Anyone know if such speakers need a sealed housing, like the sugar cubes recommend, or are they ok as they are supplied?

Basic acoustics determine that a speaker needs to have the front of the diaphragm isolated from the back of the diaphragm in order that the speaker can generate the sound pressure to work efficiently. This is why speakers in your car, HiFi or home theatre system are mounted like they are. The enclosure acts as a sounding box and effectively further amplifies the relatively weak speaker output.

So the answer is yes you do need an enclosure and the speaker should be sealed within the enclosure including where the wires protrude.

I am no expert on this, my mate is but I don't want the 2 hour lecture. The advantage of the sugar cube is that it has its own acoustic chamber, so it can stand alone. I think the iphone is a horn type so again needs no acoustic chamber. Still looking for those cheap speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

I will check my new aquisition when I get a chance as to whether I need an acoustic chamber, hopefully not.

Meantime, herewith what I received. 10 x type S6 at £4.10 and free shipping. They have to be worth a try!

/media/tinymce_upload/66dcd714089b4b400338d62fb10ff995.jpg

Be aware that impedance of a speaker is not the same as its direct resistance so measuring the speaker to see if it is suitable is not as simple as it seems. The iPhone spekers I have seen have been 4 ohm so wiring a pair in series would be safe.

Buying direct from China can be a minefield as some of their electronics can literlly be shocking quality, but so far the bits and pieces I have bought direct are as good a quality as shop bought stuff.

To answer Colin - yes these iPhone speakers do appear to use a horn enclosure as favoured by HiFi enthusiasts many decades ago. My mate had serious plans for a concrete horn design for his mega expensive (at the time) setup. Anything that separates the front of the speaker diaphragm from the back is what you are looking for.

The one really big plus point with iphone speakers is they are a lot easier to insulate. I recently had to fit a sugar cube one in a tank engine and it was one of those that has the spring terminals. These are a nightmare to insulate and you know for sure once you lower the body down those spring terminals are going to find somewhere to short and blow up your sound decoder. So far my best solution is to coat them in clear nail varnish after I realised a piece of tape across then was muffling the speaker. All the iphone speakers I have bought have been 8 ohm. I think 8 ohm must be a sort of industry standard as the 4 ohm ones "YouTube" does are two 8 ohm speakers in the same enclosure, connected in parallel. Chinese electronics are very variable even the stuff RS and Farnell sell is generally sourced from China. I was looking at some integrated circuits and even they came from China. That seems to be the issue globally, the West has sold off most of its production to China, your good old iphone is virtually designed there.

Some of the iphone speakers Richard Croft flogs appear fully sleeved but look as if they have slots at one, possibly both ends, suggesting a horn enclosure..

e.g.

/media/tinymce_upload/766a27ecf484a8c977490b6f50e87e19.png

In the diagram it is two of them shrink wrapped together wired in parallel (the single ones are half the price). I use the smaller ones, they are easier to fit and only one of them. They fit really well in Hornby tenders where the coal bunker has taken up most of the space. For TTS decoders which is most of mine (I do have a few Zimos), you can only use one. I recently fitted one in someone's Ivatt 2MT tender, with loksound decoder, it sounded really good.

How are you suppose to insulate one of those sugar cube speakers with the spring terminals? If you use a piece of insulating tape over all of it you mask the speaker. Is nail varnish the best solution?