Why can’t I finish a model

I'm not sure why this happens but every time I attempt a model , I always mess it up in one way or another which then leads me to abandoning it , it's to the point where I despise brushpainting because that seems to be the culprit to my problems , either the paint goes on really well , like vallejos (SOMETIMES) , and with other paints it's hit or miss with revells , I'm not saying it of beginner quality like what are first models looked like but it's a thing that keeps

really annoying me , and I am a bit of a perfectionist , which I guess is the problem , the other annoying thing is that i have done the hobby for 4 years and I'm not sure why I haven't given up already , my mate says just to go to an airbrush as it's apparently easier to learn and considering one of the only models I have finished has been a puma which I airbrushed and if I'm honest I would much rather learn how to operate an airbrush because of how much better my models look for a start and the paint looks nicer anyway 

Basic airbrushing is surprisingly easy to master

This kit is £50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-Dual-Action-Spray-Air-Brush-Tattoo-Nail-Tool/254510675081?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b4204b489:g:WBMAAOSwuSxfDtTI&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx%252B2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMa8CoUUBbNkRmPLYXkx8RlAP92bGvr46RxKJknTEYJhSL6HkxFtxxDp52WVRYC3ZEZJEKjmoiWzL0RLXENzbfxUYVmG0fyD7ZGerQka6D6IeQRIwsQNqpaSeXVYcY836mGVMiTendNAj5NCM6XxNv3eYYUUVsTPym0WxJ3SlzuPZUPkten5Fxv%252B2EmzEtzBUFOagYlyh2aVd6kJ%252Bz4DKblKCfbZ0xl%252FyZ6t3kClxTcuO0cMXk3ZoFx8khEi63U1kpI%252Fpuq6Tqze%252FH2AYsJgjkham%252FLyLwVo8uFO%252Fum%252B4GeV%252BoBudWfFPgpvU5MzckZxM3%252BIaR8ax4SOZEE3azke6TDWKS0EUpZ5UcYgsCkHDKAKk1PfIlsvcp5dDceYXZiEy08mxnlo%252Bx7zlh8DaUAAUeqyeE%252BYcG7G%252FX680%252BC%252FQYjPWYbjq1ObACA4yeLWzBaJmLb9PiES3xu%252BLx5CUJYqH8R4zUiItwRkLysdMszRew0mjmxEABkUNeZYfRztFMQ0rvF%252BQPEXUmji7pLJ45HhkYRTE89p3mkdybiEbDWLlr3hKCpkvpItpTY2XfayI5NZ4A0yHcK5b9lmcg590EbLIO5oygViZW7Q%252Bv3kxAfFV3SNjK2jZdKeKeCCcYFr7EkUo4ZX05jWKr6kFhZdaJtWeCb92gTc37AS50UQhHvD0wusj61UBhtuEXxvBZHC7HFGdtab4fL3PLhhXLlYEeCJlaNaI833zDMe%252Bb5tgnuQUYOxAxiKx5jAoN9b180I7U3w7GA%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A25451067508112d50b4e90e34e24b7d73caeccd63f27%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Thats 2 models in price. 

For brush painting I've always favoured Vallejo model colour because its a thicker pigment and formulation. You might just need more, thinner coats. Its counter-intuitive but often you get the best results from a wide flat brush rather than a fine one. A good primer might help too.

Mate you have to give ye self a chance!!!this is an addictive but infuriating hobby at the best of times sometimes a solid 7/10 is a great confidence boost no body an I mean NOBODY at all finishes every kit an says yes another 10/10 an if,They do it's a lie an there's nothing worse than cheating yourself. As for airbrushing on my very novice experience it's much the same as brushing some paints spray fantastic an within 3 mins you know you have a superb finish,others need to be learnt revell,humbrol imo need to be persevered with most Vallejo air will airbrush with no issues straight from the bottle.I got a cheap compressor an 2 airbrush combo form evil bay think it was less than 80 notes I've since got a harder an steenbeck evolution cr plus 0.2 airbrush witch I find very pleasant to use 99% of the time 

Thank you guys so much for the comments I luckily have an airbrush compressor however not an airbrush , the thing is I'm using Vallejo model colour I really like it , even more so with their thinner and a drop of water from the tap , I tend to put my first coat on thinned which probably isn't the best idea and weakens the overall strength of the paintwork , problem I'm having is with the bf109 I masked the top for the camoflauge on my first attempt I painted it on peeled the tape and there was a thick buildup of paint on the edges , so I wiped it down with a warm cotton bud and then tried again , attempt number 2 went better with some bits of lint in the paintwork but I notice that quite a bit when brushpainting peeled it and as I masked a little higher there's a line of unpainted bodywork and also the paint bled through the tape and left messy bits! I just want to give up on it and call it another model that I have botched , doesn't help that I'm missing the tail wheel either 

Thank you guys so much for the comments I luckily have an airbrush compressor however not an airbrush , the thing is I'm using Vallejo model colour I really like it , even more so with their thinner and a drop of water from the tap , I tend to put my first coat on thinned which probably isn't the best idea and weakens the overall strength of the paintwork , problem I'm having is with the bf109 I masked the top for the camoflauge on my first attempt I painted it on peeled the tape and there was a thick buildup of paint on the edges , so I wiped it down with a warm cotton bud and then tried again , attempt number 2 went better with some bits of lint in the paintwork but I notice that quite a bit when brushpainting peeled it and as I masked a little higher there's a line of unpainted bodywork and also the paint bled through the tape and left messy bits! I just want to give up on it and call it another model that I have botched , doesn't help that I'm missing the tail wheel either 

I've only used vallejo model colour on 1/16 figure an to be honest I don't thin at all  an most defo don't do or need a second coat I use humbrol spray grey primer on everything to date although im awaiting vallejo grey white an black primers as for bleeds i think thats always going to happen we just have to try to minimise them I use an AML Mask for camo Patterns witch I find great value an very good (an can be reused if stored the way they came,)with only minor bleeding usually on a panel line witch is an easy fix mostly, do you use Tamiya tape as I find it very playable for those tight creases I use the back of a scalpel or craft knife with excellent results again only minor bleeds I've brushed vallejo air products On Minor sacale as well straight from the pot with no issues at all if you look in the pandemic thread at any pic I've put up all are airbrushed with a single coat or a double pass with the same paint in the paint pot none have multiple coats all 99%air vallejo air some have humbrol heavily thinned down all are Tamiya tape and AML maksed to some degree

Just a wee pointer Padefc and will.s

I think you are talking about 2 different products in the same breath, Vallejo Model Colour and Vallejo Model Air.

Model Colour paints are quite thick and intended for brush painting. Yes they can be used for airbrushing but require thinning. Model Air is airbrush ready straight from the dropper bottle.

So in effect you are both right but they are 2 separate products, not the same 1 which I think has confused the issue!

I think you are talking about 2 different products in the same breath, Vallejo Model Colour and Vallejo Model Air.

Model Colour paints are quite thick and intended for brush painting. Yes they can be used for airbrushing but require thinning. Model Air is airbrush ready straight from the dropper bottle.

So in effect you are both right but they are 2 separate products, not the same 1 which I think has confused the issue!

Thank you for your reply I'm well aware of the two products and as I brushpaint I use model colour with their thinner medium

Basic airbrushing is surprisingly easy to master

This kit is £50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-Dual-Action-Spray-Air-Brush-Tattoo-Nail-Tool/254510675081?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b4204b489:g:WBMAAOSwuSxfDtTI&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkrDx%252B2NLp21dg6hHbHAkGMa8CoUUBbNkRmPLYXkx8RlAP92bGvr46RxKJknTEYJhSL6HkxFtxxDp52WVRYC3ZEZJEKjmoiWzL0RLXENzbfxUYVmG0fyD7ZGerQka6D6IeQRIwsQNqpaSeXVYcY836mGVMiTendNAj5NCM6XxNv3eYYUUVsTPym0WxJ3SlzuPZUPkten5Fxv%252B2EmzEtzBUFOagYlyh2aVd6kJ%252Bz4DKblKCfbZ0xl%252FyZ6t3kClxTcuO0cMXk3ZoFx8khEi63U1kpI%252Fpuq6Tqze%252FH2AYsJgjkham%252FLyLwVo8uFO%252Fum%252B4GeV%252BoBudWfFPgpvU5MzckZxM3%252BIaR8ax4SOZEE3azke6TDWKS0EUpZ5UcYgsCkHDKAKk1PfIlsvcp5dDceYXZiEy08mxnlo%252Bx7zlh8DaUAAUeqyeE%252BYcG7G%252FX680%252BC%252FQYjPWYbjq1ObACA4yeLWzBaJmLb9PiES3xu%252BLx5CUJYqH8R4zUiItwRkLysdMszRew0mjmxEABkUNeZYfRztFMQ0rvF%252BQPEXUmji7pLJ45HhkYRTE89p3mkdybiEbDWLlr3hKCpkvpItpTY2XfayI5NZ4A0yHcK5b9lmcg590EbLIO5oygViZW7Q%252Bv3kxAfFV3SNjK2jZdKeKeCCcYFr7EkUo4ZX05jWKr6kFhZdaJtWeCb92gTc37AS50UQhHvD0wusj61UBhtuEXxvBZHC7HFGdtab4fL3PLhhXLlYEeCJlaNaI833zDMe%252Bb5tgnuQUYOxAxiKx5jAoN9b180I7U3w7GA%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A25451067508112d50b4e90e34e24b7d73caeccd63f27%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Thats 2 models in price. 

For brush painting I've always favoured Vallejo model colour because its a thicker pigment and formulation. You might just need more, thinner coats. Its counter-intuitive but often you get the best results from a wide flat brush rather than a fine one. A good primer might help too.

Thanks for the reply I use a 2cm wide brush for my larger areas on my models like wings etc and a pointer brush with smaller parts 

It seems to me you're nine tenths of the way - you've decided you don't like brush-painting, you're discussing paints specially formulated for airbrushing, and you have a compressor.  It would be a pity to pack in the hobby without trying an airbrush - give it a go! 😀

Mate you have to give ye self a chance!!!this is an addictive but infuriating hobby at the best of times sometimes a solid 7/10 is a great confidence boost no body an I mean NOBODY at all finishes every kit an says yes another 10/10 an if,They do it's a lie an there's nothing worse than cheating yourself. As for airbrushing on my very novice experience it's much the same as brushing some paints spray fantastic an within 3 mins you know you have a superb finish,others need to be learnt revell,humbrol imo need to be persevered with most Vallejo air will airbrush with no issues straight from the bottle.I got a cheap compressor an 2 airbrush combo form evil bay think it was less than 80 notes I've since got a harder an steenbeck evolution cr plus 0.2 airbrush witch I find very pleasant to use 99% of the time 

That's the airbrush I'm getting! in terms of the persevere of humbrol and revell is that for brushpainting many thanks mate 

Seems like the Forum website has been a little slow lately and posters are impatient. Lots of duplicate posts like this one but the record must go to will.s for 7!  😀

I just wish I could get my recent posts approved. Have been able to finish two more models while waiting. Can't remember where I got to to continue the story. 

Patience grasshopper.

Thank you for your reply I'm well aware of the two products and as I brushpaint I use model colour with their thinner medium

Sorry but it wasn't apparent from your posts and there is still a degree of lack of clarity!!

Why can’t I finish a model

Maybe your expectations are too high. I know some people claim that their perfect build is their first model, but I wonder how many they threw away before they were prepared to show their work. 

This hobby is an education. I have been building for nearly 60 years and I'm still learning. there's always a new or different technique to try out (that is supposedly the best thing since sliced bred). I've never been totally happy with any of my builds, but I've never thrown a model in the bin before it was finished either. In each build I learn something and hopefully get a little better. I guess that the day I build the perfect model will be the day to pack up. What do you do after you reach perfection?

That's the airbrush I'm getting! in terms of the persevere of humbrol and revell is that for brushpainting many thanks mate 

No airbrushing will I was trying to make the point that in my limited experience humbrol an Revell acrylics will airbrush fine when thinned an ratios learent for this,were as Vallejo model air is a straight from the bottle no messing coincidently I've just thinned humbrol 34 acrylic white to this ratio 17 drops of paint 3 drops of Vallejo flow improved 6 drops of Vallejo thinner all  used a cheap airbrush an 20 psi and it spayed great will let it dry before I scrutinise it 

I agree wholeheartedly with Ratch's comments. I am yet to make a model without mistakes in construction, decalling or painting. Learning how to deal with and fix these errors on the model (or the next) is part of the fun. And of course there is the '10,000hr theory' that proposes you need to do your chosen activity/hobby for at least 10,000 hours to become proficient. Think of playing a musical instrument, playing a sport or modelling. That's a lot of model building! Add in new techniques like airbrushing, weathering etc and you have a lifetime of learning if you want it. Keep trying.

Thanks again lads for your wonderful reply's , I think Im just stuck in a mindset where I want the paint finish to be baby smooth with no issues , like what I thought I saw on build videos when people brush paint i always thought they were as smooth as I wanted mine to be , I think it's just not possible for the finish to look 100% perfect just by thinning the paint down a tad and to get it to near airbrush quality you would want other tools to assist you like the plastic wool mentioned earlier 

If you've got a compressor you should be able to get the sort of chinese double action brush I use 99% of the time for £10-20. 

I don't thin Model Air unless I have a specific need to (blotches on late war German schemes for instance). 

I still screw models up. I recently did a Bf109-F (not airfix) so badly I took paint stripper to it (Xtraxcrlyic sell one that takes model air straight off) and started from scratch. There's usually something I'm not happy with on almost all of my models. Certainly I know the next one should be better. A4 Skyhawks and Beaufighters are my obsession. They SHOULD always look better than they turn out (even though they normally turn out OK)

PS have you tried spraying an alcohol based paint? Either Tamiya or Model COLOUR (not air... colour mixed 1 part paint 4 parts pure alcohol sprays well). You might find it dries almost instantly and you don't get paint creeping under the tape. I'd get a written-off kit or even a beer can and practice spraying and masking on that first. Not all masking tape is equal either.... the yellow tamiya stuff is the best I've tried. Some cheaper makes are basically useless. 

PS have you tried spraying an alcohol based paint? Either Tamiya or Model COLOUR (not air... colour mixed 1 part paint 4 parts pure alcohol sprays well). You might find it dries almost instantly and you don't get paint creeping under the tape. I'd get a written-off kit or even a beer can and practice spraying and masking on that first. Not all masking tape is equal either.... the yellow tamiya stuff is the best I've tried. Some cheaper makes are basically useless. 

I brushpaint but im sure i will use them when i get an airbrush

is that one drop of paint to four drops of alcohol just so i know when i get my airbrush

It seems to me you're nine tenths of the way - you've decided you don't like brush-painting, you're discussing paints specially formulated for airbrushing, and you have a compressor.  It would be a pity to pack in the hobby without trying an airbrush - give it a go! 😀

I have tried it in the past and really enjoyed it i should have mentioned i use model colour when brushpainting not air :)

is that one drop of paint to four drops of alcohol just so i know when i get my airbrush

Yeah... normally I make up a batch of about 1ml paint with 4ml alcohol & thats enough for a whole model easily. 1 drop to 4 drop is the same ratio. If you can't get pure ethanol pure isopropyl alcohol (surgical spirit) is easy enough. It smells more but it works fine. Your local pharmacy is probably much cheaper than a model shop! Like I said practice on something that doesn't matter and play with the mix until it works for you. Because model colour has quite thick pigment you'll probably find a dirt cheap brush works better than a pricey one