Wagons and coaches related to free collectors train please

Captain Ceramics

Hiya C. C.

Welcome to the Hornby Forum  😀 Yes you are right about the name of the Complimentary Loco, I don't think any 1 is going to recommend any carriages or wagons for your Loco (when you receive it - it may take a while - you won't get it straight away - a bit of a wait im affraid!!!) Just add what you want to it - I have taken a few photos just to get you inspired though...

Next to the Loco is 4 wheeled Carriage, Hornby Wagon (2020 Centenary Year) R6986, BR 20 Ton Brake Van R6765.

/media/tinymce_upload/88acee66b553eb6067ba549492b8306b.JPG

This is the only 'Coal wagon' I've got - it came from Barrow Hill - Round house - Stavely in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Barrow Hill Round House is the only surviving working Round House in the UK!!! It well worth the visit!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/c1e63300c4fc21e9ec5d2b7cbc6a7c69.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/884e43fcb063a8ff17df1323d40548e5.JPG

Hey Raf - I've been to the Crich Tramway Museum a few times before - Did you know there is a Pub at the Tramway Museum which used to be else where (can't remember where though) & they lituary took down the Pub BRICK BY BRICK & moved it to the Museum & rebuilt it BRICK BY BRICK!!! - Hope that you enjoyed yourself at the Museum 😀- Pity about Barrowhill - Didn't know about it being closed - had a bit of an idea - but thought they might have been able to open some how!!!

The little  Hornby RailRoad 0-4-0 tank engines are in the main purely freelance, which means they are not specifically modelled on any particular type, although they may have a passing resemblance to something. The pretty little Holden tank engine for example is based upon an individual example made at Swindon to the design of James Holden in 1901 to explore the practicalities of oil firing.  Smokey Joe is based on a Caledonian 'Pug' engine although the Highland Railway had something similar and going back in to Triang days 'Nellie' was based loosely on the London & South Western class S14 which were intended to operate with a single passenger carriage on lightly used branch lines. 

Goods wagons on the other hand are widespread and generic. The most common type is the coal wagon which has a rectangular box body and is usually made of timber (the real ones that is) . Before World War they were the most numerous with about 700,000 of them at work all over the UK. After WW2, these were replaced by 250,000 plus steel bodied wagons of about the same size and shape.

For maximum play value a variety of wagons of different type is usually a good idea, and there are plenty to choose from. As well as coal wagons there are covered vans, tank wagons, cattle trucks, and all manner of flat wagons. It is usual to have a guards van to attach to the rear of the goods train where the guard will ride so he can supervise it.

Imagination is a great tool when planning a model railway.

Wow, this forum seems very active. I couldn't remember where I had posted my question so took a while to navigate back to find your kind replies. 

If you forget where you posted something then login as normal and click on your username which will take you to your profile area and a list of everything you ever posted. You can then select the header for the post you want to view and it will take you there.

If you use the main Search Box on  this website   (so not the Search Forums box) and enter the word 

Plank

You should get a load of results that are predominently colourful private owner wagons, most of which should look OK with the loco. 

You may have to add your own load of coal