I'm Back

John Symmons

Hi All.

Firstly, a quick shout-out to Aussie Jeff for: 

And though I haven't seen  a post from him recently it is 'Jon the Pom' whose tag line is "Remember, we do this for fun"

Thanks for that. Well I'm back with my opinionated self. I see my last posting was way back in March. A lot has happened since then. My doctor saw that i hadn't seen the cardiologist who did my by-passes about 14 years ago. So, my doctor thought it was only prudent to get an appointment. He was right

Well I'm sure you can sort-of guess the result. Seems I’d developed a slight heart beat irregularity that he wasn’t too happy about but tests found I’d also developed an aneurism in my aorta that he was definitely not happy with. They tried to check it out further but my arteries weren’t in a good enough state for it to be successful. They said I was cardiovascular cluster; not good. My cardiologist is a bit of a wizard and was willing to give it a go with a special stent from Germany. I call him Gandalf. This was just as the Covid-19 thing started, not the best of times to have anything like this to happen.

After a week in hospital, mainly waiting for the stent to clear SA customs, I was sent home. This kind of thing really makes you re-evaluate your life it also makes you a bit crabby. Luckily, I now live alone.

Then my computer died on me. Several months later I finally managed to get a new computer. Big learning curve from my old XP based one to Windows 10. I also lost all my old programs so now have to use Office which I hate; much prefer the old Serif Page-Plus.

Finally managed to get the internet back and today got my E-Mail back up and found I’d lost my Airfix pass-word. But Airfix allowed me to reset my password, so, guys I’m back.

Not done much modelling as the hospital stay etc sort-of killed my concentration and Mo-Jo. Due to a family thing I had to consolidate my stash, and ended up clearing out all my old kits, Airfix, Frog, Matchbox, Revel, Lindberg, LS etc. The three Dragon Arado Ar 234 versions and the Do 335 also went as I knew I’d never build them (Way too complicated for me now with my limited concentration span.) Also, to go was the Academy Graf Spee, the Limited edition one with all the PE and metal barrels. I’d made the normal release one and to be honest I was disgusted with it. Basically, it wasn’t a bad kit, but it wasn’t the Graf Spee, there were too many odd inaccuracies, possibly the worst being the absence of the amidship cutters and davits, and the open secondary turrets, even the plastic railing could be forgiven except for the gaps. And the masts were wrong again. These details were available in the 1970’s so why are they appearing in a modern kit. No excuse. Pity really as I was looking forward to making that model.

Anyway, enough of a rant. Good to see there’s now a Pandemic Special posting so maybe I can post some of the finished models I managed to make just before the ‘lock-down’ or during it. Unfortunately, none are Airfix and a few are still waiting for my Mo-Jo to return.

Here in SA we’re now into level one so model shops are opening again and some models I’d ordered last year have finally arrived, mainly 1/72 Roden armour and I saw an ACE model of a WW1 artillery piece. Look interesting ACE have improved their moulding; it’s now digital;? and a great improvement from some of their earlier moulds.

Well that’s about it for now. I’ll be posting in the usual forums and catching up on the replies were ever I can.

Remember we do this for fun                        John the Pom