‘Smiley’ Spitfire on parade and a clash of armour

Hurricane Boy

Just looked at the latest Workbench entry.  The built-up Spitfire 5c's look great. I will have to get a few on backorder and decals for some of the CAN RAF / RCAF Malta Aces. From this entry, the previous workbench entry as well as the November Arifix Model World test-shot build, I think that this one will be a real gem. Nice to have the four-cannon version as an optional build for our Australian friends too.

I am also happy to see the new Beaufighter release will have an option to build 404 Sqn RCAF Beaufighter EE-H NE355 which according to Aviaeology served with 404 from April 1944 though February 1945.....about 11 months....that is a long service record for a combat aircraft. I think that a late release of the previous Airfix Beaufighter was the same aircraft but with the pre-D-Day squadron code 2-H

Finally I had a look at the Quick Build Ford Ranger Raptor pick-up truck. This one looks like a good place to start my five year old grand daughter in model building. She has already had lots of fun with the Lego type building blocks so this is a natural next step!

• 1 year later...
I built a beaufighter of a 404 plane based on one of the planes my dad flew in as a navigator. His log book not always gave serial numbers but just letters. Also did a Blenheim that he was in with same squadron. He wasn’t in RCAF but was RAF but had been posted to 404. My attempts are my usual free hand painting as I don’t do masking and spray painting.

Hi RodC

Please post some pictures of your Beaufighter and Blenheim. I would love to see them and it just might motivate me to build those two kits in the stash.

A couple of local guys (now passed on) were late war Beaufighter “drivers” in 404 and one of them gave me my first airplane ride in his Cessna 180 float plane (I was about 8 or so …1960)

I have some Aviaeology 1/72nd scale 404 Sqd “Black Friday” decals of his aircraft for my Airfix Beaufighter TF X and need to pick up the Xtra decal 404 Blenheim decals for my Airfix Blenheim IVf

Cheers,

Tim