Class 313/314/315

Trainmodeller35

The 313/314/315 EMUs are pretty much externally identical so they could be built using the same tooling. 313s operated on the East Coast Mainline, 315s on the Great Eastern and 314s in Scotland so they would suit multiple different areas being modeled. I think they'd be good to fill the current lack of AC EMUs.

• 4 months later...

Strangely the lack of ready to run overhead line equipment hasn't prevented Hornby releasing the Classes 87, 90, 91, 92, 370 APT, 373 Eurostar, 390 Pendolino, 395 Javelin, or 800 class Azuma et al.

Lack of third rail has not prevented the appearance in the Hornby catalogue of 5Bel, 4Vep, 2Bil, 2Hal, or 466.

the 313 etc. series have been a significant albeit geographically restricted type in use since the mid 1970s until the present day. Examples also found their way on to parts of the Southern. These were the first BR units to operate on both overhead and third rail. Third rail versions (507/508) provided Merseyside with a reasonably modern train service.

There is certainly some merit in considering these for the future.

forum_image_6040980e9dd7e.thumb.png.9393062e0b016e3e3569e612ba535a75.png

This is the prototype 4Pep unit that was developed into the 313 etc. series. It is seen here on its demonstration run at Beckenham Junction in 1972 I think the front end looked better than the 313s but BR did not perpetuate it, sadly.

• 2 months later...

Since 1955 25kvac has been the standard. So in 65 years of the standard, the backbone of the operation has seen just one model made the Bachmann class 350. That’s right just one model. Pretty derisory stuff given that all the major mainlines out of London are electrified, the major conurbations are electrified , the recent electrification projects undertaken. Biggest train fleet orders in history all for electric traction ie emus. For the past 40 years we’ve been banging our heads against a wall with Hornby , Lima etc to get them to wake up. Same pitiful / lame / hapless excuses wheeled out. They sprouted the same drivel about freight stock in the late 1980’s - 1990’s ‘to expensive’ / ‘no demand’. So here we are in 2021 & it’s like being back in the 1980’s 90’s , just about sacked off buying rtr models & back in the routine of buying the kits / converting stuff. Every catalogue announcement is a yawn fest / same old drivel / remakes of remakes , it’s totally threadbare. Hornby based in Margate , has anybody from the warehouse / offices set foot into Margate station & seen what runs? Err the Electrostars , biggest fleet of dual voltage units built & no model , I mean it fair boggles the mind yet they can fall over themselves tooling up for museum pieces from 1829 , one off locos etc.

• 1 year later...

I have a 31x kit that is 3d printed, from a Gent in the Luton area, The Gentleman Has Also Come and brought out Unit variations for the likes of 507 and 508.

it's not RTR and I don't think I will see them in my lifetime. brought into an RTR format, however, this kit I have is going into a regional railways/ Mersyrail 50x... when I get around to it.

This is probably the wrong place, but as there is a disdussion about 3rd rail powered MUs going on, can someone explain how the third rail is safe for railway personnel and unauthorised folk drifting onto the per way ? Why are people not regularly fried ? and what about the possibility of a dropped (or placed!) crow bar bridging the rails?

Hi Lyctus

I live in an area that has had electrified third rail lines for a very, very long time. NYC.

There are stories passed around, rumors if you will, of workers electrified. There is one persistent story of a worker who fell onto the rail and kept himself from touching ground until the system was shut off.

If you poke around hard enough, you will find a video of a homeless person who grabs the third rail. I would strongly advise against viewing this, it is quite gruesome.

As to the crowbar?10,000 amps at 600VDC means that one of two things occurs. The crowbar is thrown off just before solid contact, when the arc superheats the air like lightening, or the crowbar, unable to carry the current, simply melts.

@lyctus.

Hvaing worked on the Merseyrail network in Liverpool, the possablity of something contacting a 3rd rail (Conductor Rail) reall dosent have that much of a chance to occur. We have Rail sheilds to plavce ofver the 3rd rail for Short Term jobs. long term Jobs like Sleeper refits etc require Written Permissions from the likes of the ECO and Signaller... the additional MEasure is the (Test Touch an Test) using A peice of equipment to test if the Rail is live... alot of protective measure now implace and same for the 25kv ole.

hope it helps

Hi Luciton! 👋

You wrote:

[Hornby] can fall over themselves tooling up for museum pieces from 1829

I'm an enthusiast of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. I enjoy the research, the literature, the period illustrations and, of course, the Hornby models. While I may take some small quibble with some detail or another, I find the product line quite enjoyable. Based upon how rapidly the Hornby models of the LMR go out of stock, other enthusiasts must find enjoyment as well.

There is little need to put forward your preference at the expense of others.

In other posts, you have indicated your layout models modern, electrified trains. You obviously take enjoyment in that. I would not think to impinge upon your desires by asking Hornby to stop making modern models just so I could have some obscure piece of LMR rolling stock.

If I might, I hope Hornby does take on models in the 31X class. Best of luck that Hornby can see it too!

Cheers!

Maybe as Oxford Rail is now part of the Hornby Hobbies group of companies, Hornby could restructure themselves and get Oxford Rails to do the diesel and electric locos, DMU & EMU trains, modern passenger stock and freight traffic and Hornby sticks to steam era stuff.

• 2 months later...