Would 1:35 scale figures look OK with 1:32 Month’s Humber

Hi just wondering if anyone has put the Airfix 1:32 kits such as Monty's Humber, the Frontier Checkpoint or Bamboo House with 1:35 scale figures. I'm imagining the difference in scale would not be noticeable for buildings but with the car and the figures of Monty and his driver the mix of scales may well not look right. I see the only current 1:32 Airfix figures are the German Infantry, and eBay OOP 1:32 Airfix figures seem at premium prices and don't look that good a moulding. Thanks for comments 

Hi Cliverdee.

The mixing of scale figures has been quite a decisive topic on this forum before. Most model figures seem to be based on a 6 foot figure which is really only true quite recently. It's only really since 1950 that the 6 ft. guy has become more normal. If you ever visit HMS Victory you'll notice (Painfully, bumping your head.) that the height between decks is only 5 ft 3 inches as that was the height of a tall person in those days; actually, if you were over 5,3 you were safe from being conscripted into the navy as you wouldn't fit. Fast forward to the mid 1900's the average male in England had grown to about +/- 5ft 9 inches. The only guys taller were the ones from the colonies: South Africa, Canada etc: Which was why Sailor Malan said the Spitfire was cramped he much preferred the Hurricane.

In the 1960 when I started work, I noticed that I (at about 6 feet tall) was one or the tallest there, especially when compared to the guys who’d lived through the 2nd world war. Now if you take a 1/37th figure and then scale that down to 1/32nd (Based on a 6 ft protype) then he’d come out at approximately 5ft 6inches. So, mixing 1/37th figures with 1/32nd machines could be, historically speaking, be about correct. Just don’t go the other way around as a 1/32nd figure into 1/37th scale comes out at about 6ft 6 inches, he’d have been a giant in the 1940’s. A I/37th figure should be about 52 mm tall, were as the 1/32nd figure about 57 mm tall, both based on a 6ft prototype. Hope this helps.

Remember we do this for fun                   John the Pom

Ah thanks.. that's a very helpful answer and useful explanation of the modelling scales relating to human growth ! ... I was about 8 when I went on board Victory in the early 1960s and I can still remember all the adults  bumping their heads with a variety of grunts and gruff curses ! Thanks again and I'll try out a mix & match. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frederick

Great photo of the 'Old Bill' and the figures really gives it some life. I doubt if the figures are too small, you might actually find them a touch too big (See the officer standing on the stairs and my post above.) All my grand parents were all rather short and even as a teenager I towered over them. Virtually all people I met from WW1 vintage were all much shorter than me.

Again a very nice model dioramia, and hope to see some more.

Remember we do this for fun                                    John the Pom.