1/48 future release?

peebeep

The trouble with a Scimitar is that it is truly a niche aircraft. It was less capable as a fighter than a Sea Vixen and less capable for strike than a Bucc. (even a Mk1 with Gyron Jnrs. It's only use was in flight refuelling as the Mk1 Buccs could not get off with a useful bomb load AND a useful fuel load. it couldn't even lift much fuel. I have a couple of mates who worked on them and they describe them as 'pigs'. on top of that it doesn't have the great shape of the Vixen, the purposefulnes of the Bucc, the ungainly look of the Gannet,  the odd look of the CV Cutlass .. or anything remotely distinctive or attractive at all. It is simply one of those unremarkable 'plain janes' that was produced in small numbers and endeared itself to few.

If Fleet Air Arm were the subject, I would love a Mk1 Buccaneer or if we want something odd, a Firebrand. RAF? A twin pin, Beverley, A decent Beagle Basset, a Balliol, Brigand, Argosy and most of all..... A Varsity! we had around 260 of them and they looked very distinctive, rightly called the flying pig. Lots of bright schemes, particularly the one at Cosford. Just imagine the fun of having an engine cowling set open. 

• 7 months later...

Possibly true about the appeal of the Scimitar - although Airfix did kit the Swift... However Airfix do have a tendency to select subjects in a type of "range" system. Although not marked as such there does seem to a distinct pattern, one being "1/48 post-war fighters in British service" (most recently the Sabre and Vampire). It does occur to me if the period end point is the Lightning then they are running out of subjects. Can't think of many RAF types except the Venom (possibly in 2 seat NF/FAW versions) although this may be too similar to the Vampire to do very soon. So I think they will take a look at appropriate FAA subjects and, regardless of aesthetic qualities or personal preference, I would think the Scimitar is in with a serious shout in 1/48.

The Scimitar was a comparatively large and powerful aircraft and with full pylons, wings folded and colourful tail markings does have a certain purposeful charm... quirky even! grinning

How weird, I didn't start this thread and suspect that I may have quoted somebody else in reply and that the OP went missing during the forum transition. A Scimitar is really not very high on my list of stuff that deserves to be kitted in 1/48.

• 2 months later...