Improving port holes

KiwiKev

I've noticed port holes are some of the worst features of Airfix ships. While I've got some ideas on improving them, what do people recommend? I'm thinking of using the marked position (once checked for accuracy, the ones on HMS Hood were way out of position) to centre a fine drill, then sand off the ridiculous toy-like circles they've put on some models. I'm looking at a made up 1:600 HMS Iron Duke which I presume is Airfix (although amazingly it has a bilge keel which I have hardly ever seen on their model ships), and the portholes are just awful. The whole thing needs a major tidy up, and the port holes as they are have got to go!!

Just thinking the pin vise sounds good, and a metal plate template with a locating edge that keeps the guide hole at the same distance from the deck might work well. Where the port hole positions are accurate though, I wonder if "drilling" a pilot hole with the pointed end of a modelling knife might do the trick, drill out the hole, and then sand away any out of scale features. What's the worst that can happen? Bog it up and start again?

Just thinking the pin vise sounds good, and a metal plate template with a locating edge that keeps the guide hole at the same distance from the deck might work well. Where the port hole positions are accurate though, I wonder if "drilling" a pilot hole with the pointed end of a modelling knife might do the trick, drill out the hole, and then sand away any out of scale features. What's the worst that can happen? Bog it up and start again?

Noooooo ! don't use a modelling knife - it'll never work. Use a fine drill - you can get all sizes. I lay Dymo tape along the line of portholes and use that to align the bit whilst I drill out the hole.

Once they are drilled - sand them with fine wet and dry sand paper and use PVA glue to"glaze" them

When I say use a modelling knife, I mean only to mark the centers, then use a drill. The "bolt" holes on this 4.5 inch turret were centered that way and are reasonably straight even if not uniform in diameter. Alignment can be improved by taping a straight edge of some description on the model, which I didn't do below, and the holes below weren't finished using a drill, but it was just an experiment. If that model is ever finished I may redo the turret for a number of reasons, it's pretty ugly:forum_image_604bb94eacb8c.thumb.png.0d3cc883438a6dd9a404f6356596bce2.png