Tracks - vinyl or plastic?

Lady Hynarc

Having just completed a model of the Sherman Firefly Vc I was intrigued to see that each track came in 6 parts which were individually glued to the wheels rather than the rubber/vinyl tracks which need gluing or heating. The former did require some familiarisation to make sure they were placed correctly and provided a coherent, connected track but, in my opinion they look really great.

The latter I always find a bit hit and miss - they rarely look good all the way round and they never feel entirely 'convincing' i.e., that they aren't going to come undone at some point. However, the ones on the Firefly seem to be set for eternity.

I very much hope that this is now the preferred option from Airfix and that we can expect more of the same going forward.

I'm also impressed with the way Airfix have approached a link and length type of track with the Firefly and Tiger I kits, it's as near fool proof as you're likely to come across. Some Dragon armour kits come with hybrid 'flexible plastic' tracks. The plastic is soft enough to be bent and shaped around running gear, but firm enough to hold better detail than vinyl. Nowadays everybody seems to be opting for link and length in braille scale. The new Airfix 1/35 Cromwell kits come with vinyl and link and length, so you can choose whichever you prefer. Vinyl probably works better in the larger scale, but in my mind tracks moulded in hard plastic usually look better.

• 1 month later...

I'm also impressed with the way Airfix have approached a link and length type of track with the Firefly and Tiger I kits, it's as near fool proof as you're likely to come across. Some Dragon armour kits come with hybrid 'flexible plastic' tracks. The plastic is soft enough to be bent and shaped around running gear, but firm enough to hold better detail than vinyl. Nowadays everybody seems to be opting for link and length in braille scale. The new Airfix 1/35 Cromwell kits come with vinyl and link and length, so you can choose whichever you prefer. Vinyl probably works better in the larger scale, but in my mind tracks moulded in hard plastic usually look better.