Bismarck redemption

KiwiKev

The Airfix 1:600 Bismarck model doesn't have the greatest reputation. With some trepidation I purchased this kit, and set about comparing it to the detailed drawings I had at hand, and reading other comments about the model.

The basic hull and deck are pictured below out of the box. My initial thoughts were just to add a lot more detail to the basic model, but after a bit of research there was no way I was going to build it in the standard shape and proportions.

forum_image_605662c7a3ec7.thumb.png.1c132c70504c88a6c68d95f9d0832f69.png

The following errors are present on the original hull and main deck:

1. Bow and stern deck plans are far too broad.
  2. Hull height is about 4 mm too great.
  3. "A" turret is about 3 mm too far forward.
  4. "Y" turret is about 11 mm too far aft.
  5. Armour belt indent in hull extends about 7 mm both forward and aft.
  6. Anchor recesses look to large and too far aft.
  7. There are numerous detail errors in deck detail.

I always thought this model never quite conveyed the fine elegant lines of the Bismarck. The reason is now quite clear, the bow and stern are both way too massive, the hull too deep, and the turrets are too close to the ends of the ship, thus losing that long streamlined bow and stern effect at both ends of the ship.

There are a number of ways you could approach this, picking only some of the above to address, and you could even try re-using the original deck and adjusting its outer profile, however if you want to move the turrets to the correct position to restore the proper proportions fully, that would result in a lot of removed and replaced decking, with the very hard job of trying to recreate and match the original planking scheme.

I'm going to create a new deck, and try to address most of the above points. As I'll probably try to reuse the anchor recesses, they may remain a little large, but as they are tricky to create from scratch I'll accept that trade-off.

Below is the new forward deck under construction with the original barbettes fitted, and I'll maintain this thread as a diary of progress on this project. The hope is to use the original hull plating, albeit cut down slightly in height, and most of the upper superstructure and armament detail to construct a model that better represents this impressive ship in correct proportions.

forum_image_605662db8fe9d.thumb.png.a2147eaed8890725ef7a129a180b9629.png

Trimming the hull down all around by 3.5 mm in height has a number of benefits. It helps with the fit of the new deck at bow and stern, and it increases the proportion of armoured belt between water-line and main deck.

I also noticed that there was some unevenness in the molding of the two hull halves, and the top starboard edge came out very thin and uneven in places, so cutting down the hull removed this problem area completely.

You need to make sure before marking the cut line that you've decided how you're going to join the two hull halves together. I found the original locating pins didn't allow proper alignment, so I cut them off, aligned the two halves by eye, and taped them together, before running the masking tape on which the cut line would be drawn, so that the cuts on both sides would match perfectly where the hulls joined..

I did the cut as carefully as I could with a hacksaw blade after marking the line on masking tape, then sanded to a smooth sheer line. Probably not best to try this unless you have a steady hand and lots of patience, as there is real potential here to do an awful job.

I've spot glued the hull halves together with super glue as there will still be a lot of strain put on both halves when forcing them onto the new deck line, and it may be necessary to soften some sections in very hot water to bend into shape beforehand.

Not shown here are supporting lugs for the new deck glued inside the hull top edges to assist with positive location. Also note the adjustment of the armoured belt forward and aft ends is still required, and the anchor recesses still need to be remodeled. I feel that the hull already looks a hundred percent better, and that is really giving me renewed enthusiasm for the potential of this kit.

forum_image_605e49352751a.thumb.png.2e3532138edd4d3650e2f80a2e7db426.png

Fwd superstructure also requires the 01 Deck walls to be replaced since the originals were attached to the original deck. Also took the time to fit some vents to the side superstructure. I was rather disturbed to find I had two starboard side part 7s and no port side part 8 (sides of the superstructure the AA directors attach to). Airfix have a very good reputation for sending replacement parts, but since I was going to cut in the vents anyway, it was relatively straightforward to convert one of the starboard side parts to fit the port side, and that was cause for relief when it worked out OK.

I've taken the time to create the step in the deck around the S2 and P2 secondary turret enclosures, and the bridge needs widening. It appears the model sports only 4 front windows, but the ship had 7. Bridge wing extensions fitted with dodgers, and forward 37mm gun enclosures hollowed out.

forum_image_60623baeb1340.thumb.png.1938ca6dd7264e0c747e3e859d369a5f.png

forum_image_60623bbe7cde0.thumb.png.76a073467f068e1285580aa1c272561e.png

Latest progress. Some ground tackle fitted to the foredeck, there is still a spare anchor and some shaped bollards to be fitted on the center of the bow. Capstans and breakwater fitted. These and the turret need some additional detailing. The main and secondary turrets are OK and will be used. The 10.5s and 37mm will be replaced and a prototype 10.5 is shown along with the original.

forum_image_6067bd6291cf8.thumb.png.00cdd56595d9115cca9d699976f3d8b0.png

forum_image_6067bd72d3df8.thumb.png.c1d421dab3d714855ed4d0403f5545a3.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This view from above highlights the corrected proportions and positioning of major components given by the new deck. My conclusion is that a very nice model can still be made out of this kit when the necessary modifications are made. I'm quite tempted to do another version of the Bismarck from this kit once I've got some experience with PE and rigging, take my time, incorporate all the lessons I've learned from this experiment, and make a really first class result.forum_image_609421d790eb5.thumb.png.64ef94e7f517dcd1e667b2f728ea4693.png

One of the additional things you have to do with this model which I haven't mentioned so far is that since the barbettes are moved about 12mm closer, that much length has to be lost from the superstructure length. The aft superstructure second level that extends from the aft aircraft hangar is definitely too long, and 4 or 5 mm can be taken out of that.

The forward trunking of the funnel lost 3 mm, while about 5 mm was taken out of various parts of the deck around the catapult. Luckily the decks when glued back together and tidied up showed very little sign of this surgery.forum_image_6094e200d9112.thumb.png.35eba442499faf0e47f9f7b9b3de6c7f.png

That's some impressive work on the Bismark's bow!

Pretty happy with the overall effect. Most of the detail was based on drawings and photos from the Haynes manual "Owners guide to the Bismarck". Also looked at some of the images in Robert Ballards "Discovery of the Bismarck" as some of the images of the wreck are also quite revealing. You could do a lot more with this model than what I've shown here. I am aware of a few other little errors in the model I would correct if I did it again, things you pick up while scouring photographs for other details. All in all very happy. I might finish by uploading some diagrams of the replacement deck plan and where the aft superstructure was shortened.forum_image_609594278443c.thumb.png.5152071712489d24f5807d4f10dde76e.png

• 3 weeks later...

Trimming 3.5 mm off the hull height. Doesn't look like much, but makes a huge difference. It corrects both overall hull height and also the relative height of the top of the armour belt. On my model it also enabled me to remove the top of the starboard half of the hull which came out of the mold very poorly. The tear dropped anchor recess cut-out was then filed a little lower, and still looked OK. 3.5 mm on this scale is basically one deck height.

forum_image_60b163a50ccf3.thumb.png.0f1464403d7d99fdc1a769b653b49b56.png

• 10 months later...

The Bimarck is often shown painted in a dazzle paint scheme. I have a model that is built but still unpainted and would prefer not to bother with a complicated pattern. The ship itself had a short career, does anyone know when the cammo was applied?

She was commissioned on the 24th August 1940 and sunk on the 27th May 1941. A very short life but nevertheless her schemes changed in that time period.

You'll need to do a bit of research.

Then choose the scheme you like best and go for it.

• 5 months later...

Posted at 19:40:24 Fri 8 Apr 2022

She was commissioned on the 24th August 1940 and sunk on the 27th May 1941. A very short life but nevertheless her schemes changed in that time period.

You'll need to do a bit of research.

Then choose the scheme you like best and go for it.

There's a good build of a 1/350 Bismarck in the latest Airfix magazine, well worth checking out for anyone interested in the vessel. It shows the ship with a dazzle pattern on the hull but not on the superstructure, making painting a bit easier. I think it's the version I would go for.

• 2 weeks later...

My last post was replying to someone else's message Kev. The reply feature on the forum doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Good build of both Bismarck and Hood by the way. It would be good if Airfix did some new 1/600 ship kits if they know there's still interest in the scale.