HM6000 [Power supply]

gasway

• 3 weeks later...

If I get one it will just be the basic unit, so I have a power supply that has correct size plug but is rated at 12V 1a output, although true output is 15.40v DC, would this be enough to power the HM6000, I do not intend to power points etc. etc.?

EDIT 11.38: Just seen other issues with PWM not working on Android, knew about sound issues. May have to think again however point about power supply relevant.

True outputs can only be measured when the power supply is under load. However a regulated output power supply should read the same voltage when under load as well as off load. The fact that you seem to get a higher voltage reading 'off load' than the output stated on the label, would seem to indicate that either your suggested power supply is not a regulated one or the regulation circuit is not doing its designed function correctly.

Will the HM6000 operate on a 12 volt supply? ...... possibly.

Will it function correctly? ...... who knows. You would need to try it to find out. If the HM6000 input is actually 12 volts, then after internal HM6000 operating voltage losses then the output to track is more likely to be below 12 volts. The 15 volt HM6000 input from the official power supply gives a voltage overhead to compensate for the internal HM6000 operation.

Make sure that the centre output pin is positive voltage before trying though.

.....Will it function correctly? ...... who knows. You would need to try it to find out.
Make sure that the centre output pin is positive voltage before trying though.

Thanks for v.quick reply, guessed as much. Just didn't want to fork out if I didn't need to. Although it is farcical that the PSU is out of stock, and some dealers have units but no PSU, my own local had correct no. of units delivered, but only a few PSU's!!!

I think now that as I really need to replace my broken GM walkabout, I will have leave off for time being. Shame.

The thing most folk are dodging here is the correct power supply will have the correct size jack plug to fit the modules.

It is unlikely the jack plugs on these other rated voltage units will even fit, never mind will they work.

As the P9100 power unit appears to be in short supply, I have been told the Scalextric P9600 power supply is suitable. This is 15 volt 1.2 A and has the correct size jack plug. As it has a tad more output it may even be better than the original supply at running your HM|DC layout.

• 9 months later...

@Richard

6.3mm OD x 3.0 or 3.1mm Pin Diam x 10mm long.

The same size as Hornby digital controller and Scalextric digital power supplies.

@Confused

The android pwm frequency and sound glitch issues were fixed in the recent update. Check your app store.

• 2 weeks later...