Matilda Hedgehog (AIRFIX 02335) 1:76

Tomek22

I thought the Hedgehog was only used by the Australians in the Pacific Theatre.

Thats a good point Ratch, I jumped in there without thinking. On the subject of British late war colours in Europe though, I'm still not sure what shade of green was used. I understand that so much US equipment was in service at the time that it was easier to paint British vehicles in US colours rather the other way around. I don't know if there was an official British Army green or khaki finish, is any other forum member knowledgeable on this? 

Here's an excerpt:

ACI. 1496 October 1943. MTP.46/4A still in force except SCC.14 (black) is the preferred disruptive colour but SCC.1A (dark brown) may be used instead according to available stocks.

ACI.533 12 April 1944; SCC.15 Olive Drab, BS.987C introduced as the new basic colour. Disruptive painting to continue as before. Bailey bridges will remain SCC.2 (brown) to distinguish components from the US made equipment for that purpose. 

SCC.15 Olive Drab was the first colour in this series to be officially named.  Please note; this colour does NOT match the US Army colour of that name nor does it match FS.34088 neither is it the current No 298 Olive Drab.

ACI.1100 August 1944. Olive Drab basic colour to continue except as specified in Appendix I paragraph 4. This is the important part usually completely misread. The cessation of applying disruptive painting ONLY applies to HOME BASED vehicles. Not applicable to overseas commands. So, equipment in NWE and Italy continued to use and apply disruptive painting as required until May 1945 

Vehicles at home and still in two browns need not be repainted with Olive Drab but continue using the existing colours. What began to happen was that new single coloured vehicles issued to NWE by Autumn and winter 1944 were often no longer disruptively painted so gradually the old colours were seen less often at least in front line units where wastage was higher than LOC and RASC units. 

It wasn't until 1948 the Deep Bronze Green was re-introduced into service and then only on new and refurbished vehicles. By then BSC. 381 had been re-issued under another title, the colours were all rearranged in hue values and renumbered in a three-digit system. Several of the 1930 colours were withdrawn, some new colours with new numbers and names were now included but a small range of new colours used the old colour names. Thus, adding confusion to many modellers ever since.

Here's an excerpt:

SCC.15 Olive Drab was the first colour in this series to be officially named.  Please note; this colour does NOT match the US Army colour of that name nor does it match FS.34088 neither is it the current No 298 Olive Drab.

Thus, adding confusion to many modellers ever since.

Thanks for the information Ratch. It looks like any new British vehicle in late 44/early 45 would probably have a coat of SCC15 then, plus possibly some black or dark brown disruptive pattern. Several model paint manufacturers produce SCC15 in acrylic so its a handy reference.

I used Vallejo paint, I am sorry, but I don´t know the number.

The instruction sheet suggest Humbol 150 (Forest green), it also says, as Ratch´s note, this vehicle was used in Papua New Guinea by the Australians.

• 2 weeks later...