RAF Figures

I've just started painting a set of RAF figures. I noted that the plastic was very soft and flexible (unlike previous products) and I feared the worst. I washed the figures in hot soapy water to remove the grease and sprayed them with primer. I then started to apply acrylic paint. I was alarmed that almost immediately paint was just falling off the sprues. Then from the figures at the slightest touch ! This is shockingly bad. I have joined this Forum as a response to warn others. This is not acceptable. Very poor AIRFIX. I have since checked other forums only to discover that this problem is now typical. Surely you are aware ? This is clearly a manufacturing issue which could have been dealt with when the first of this 'new batch' came on the market. For these still to be offered for sale is wrong. Please note that if you have purchased these figures you should return them immediately as being 'Not of merchantable quality" and demand a refund. Shame on you AIRFIX for this.

I used Vallejo and Humbrol acrylics.

I don't say they are un-paintable. I painted them, but the paint just flakes off because the plastic is too soft. I'm used to painting figures, and honestly, without exception these are the worst it has been my bad fortune to buy...and I've had a few. I was always an Airfix fan, but the amount of flash and lack of detail recently makes me reconsider buying kits I wouldn't have thought twice about.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

An old school technique for painting this type of figure is after washing to remove mold release is to coat the figures with dilute PVA glue. When dry it forms a more resilient skin, which helps the paint adhere. This was before the introduction of acrylic paint.

• 1 month later...

forum_image_621263033e185.png.91bf07fea8f9a0885866fe2830bfd07f.png

RAF and US figures, I got about a dozen to do. I noticed that the plastic on the OLD Airfix figures is quite hard and not at all flexible. I believe they were cast in white plastic I think they came with the emergency set and the refueling set. I don't believe I have ever bought the figures set. I'm not sure what to do with the bases they stand on. I want to remove them and perhaps drill holes and insert wires. not sure yet, I don't think they will stand without the bases.

The vehicles are from the second set of RAF bomber resupply I've built, the fist set is put away and difficult to get to. I wanted some more bomb carts and another Bedord without the fuel tank. I do want another at some point without the canvas cover.

Randy

The figures that come with the kits (RAF Recovery Set for instance) are indeed moulded in hard styrene. The figure sets are all moulded in a softer, more pliable plastic, probably to preserve the moulds and not damage them. I'd guess they were made differently to the normal kit tools. Airfix used a new plastic called K-resin in the recently re-issued 1/32 figure sets, but haven't done this with the small figures.

The figure sets are moulded in vinyl, this is to enable the figures to be moulded in one piece whilst still being able to eject them from the mould without resorting to multi-part tooling. It's perfectly possible to paint them by first washing to remove any release agent (I think nowadays they use a Teflon type media rather than oils) and then priming them with white glue thinned with a drop of water. The glue will stick to the vinyl and subsequent paint layers should adhere to the glue and remain robust when handled. Curious that the OP suggests that offering them for sale is wrong, mostly they are released by demand! Perhaps it might be better to ask questions rather than shoot first? wink

You can get figures in hard plastic by 'others', but they will come as multi-part for each figure and be rather more expensive to buy than the vinyl one piece sets.

The figure sets are moulded in vinyl, this is to enable the figures to be moulded in one piece whilst still being able to eject them from the mould without resorting to multi-part tooling. It's perfectly possible to paint them by first washing to remove any release agent (I think nowadays they use a Teflon type media rather than oils) and then priming them with white glue thinned with a drop of water. The glue will stick to the vinyl and subsequent paint layers should adhere to the glue and remain robust when handled. Curious that the OP suggests that offering them for sale is wrong, mostly they are released by demand! Perhaps it might be better to ask questions rather than shoot first? wink

You can get figures in hard plastic by 'others', but they will come as multi-part for each figure and be rather more expensive to buy than the vinyl one piece sets.

I tried the two different primers I have, Mr. Surafacer and Alclad , neither work, I am wondering if an etching primer would work better? I did try the PVA glue but it seems like it hides a lot of detail.

I tried the two different primers I have, Mr. Surafacer and Alclad , neither work, I am wondering if an etching primer would work better? I did try the PVA glue but it seems like it hides a lot of detail.

Neat or thinned?

Thinking off the top of my head I'm wondering if Johnson's Klear or Pledge Revive It might work. I've got some figures here, I'll give it a go.

forum_image_621a3063dcd64.png.83f31757684027e634c742281797ed59.pngforum_image_621a306611302.png.779186fcac49cd62b5237f87364e4f15.png

Here are my very first Airfix figures from the USAAF set. I used ultra-thinned CA cement as an undercoat, it didn't cover the detail. I also have some pledge floor polish to try, I hadn't thought of that.

I'll order some Vallejo primer; I don't currently have any of their products. I also have some automotive etching primer coming.

Randy

forum_image_621ce52505caf.png.d58b56090e21ebd6e5d1581cea69de60.png

These are a mix of enamel and acrylics.

I expect some additional primers to arrive this week. my experience is that without a good undercoat the paint rubs off very easy. Obviously if I'm making a diorama or something the figures are going to get handled, I don't wish to repaint them after I handle them each time.

I have the Airfix RAF set on the way now, I got lots of painting and picture taking to do !!

• 3 months later...

forum_image_629fdff68b57f.png.53b2aaa6b7defe04bc7bdcdc211b54c6.png

The two on the left are painted today with the new paint from Ammo. It's strange to me but the set came with yellow, (I assume for flotation), and three shades of blue, the darker one for low light areas and the lighter one to highlight. It may not be apparent, but the blue is a bit different from the figures on the right. I think the layering or tinting is more effective on scales larger then these 1/72 airfix guys. I used the Vallejo black primer as suggested by Ratch. I primed another 15 today.

forum_image_62a480f3d3fd4.png.50f6b248a5a0532945d2d420e07b777d.png

Here are my latest RAF figures in 1/72. I gave the woman grey stockings. I used the Ammo acrylics with Valejo gloss black primer. I airbrushed the base blue and handpainted everything else.

There are a few figures that are carrying ammo belts, I airbrushed Valejo gloss black primer followed by Alclad gloss black primer followed by Alclad gold for the ammo belts.

I will post a photo of the labor-intensive ammo belts soon.

Randall