Points shorting

Steve-771300

Is it possible that the HM 6000 detects a short circuit quicker than my Gaugemaster controllers? If I reverse any of my 125 trains into a siding across RH points, The HM6000 detects a fault and cuts out. With the Gaugemaster controller the same train will go straight over the points and into the siding. Could it be faulty points or just the HM being over sensitive?

Have you got both controllers set to the same direction and the speeds matched as near as possible.

6000 is quick at detecting shorts.

Are your controlled sections isolated from each other by use of IRJs.

One wouldn’t think so Steve.

It sounds like a sensitivity thing if your GM controller handles the same scenario without tripping.

I can only suggest checking the point with a meter in case of a real short. Hornby points have been know to be duff out of the box.

Failing that check the loco (if only one) to see if there is any reason for a true short, e.g. back to back, flanges bridging the frog area rails, anything on the loco such as valve gear and motion rods, etc touching a wheel rim.

Possibly worth adding to the bug report thread.

If the points have IRJs you should be able to handover from 6000 controlled sector to GM controlled sector.

Thanks for your reply. Will try new points today anyway as well as checking loco. I am still of the opinion that the circuitry in the HM is more sensitive than The GM controller. Like comparing a 30ma RCD to a 100MA one in 240v domestic circuits.

Trials have shown when using both types of controller together on adjacent track sections that either they both trip together or the 6000 unit wins the race.

It is likely to do with the electronics in the conventional controller, whether it uses older tech or state of the art.

I trialed the newer Hornby R7229, which is an SCR device against the 6000. Both this and the 6000 tripped at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else having problems with shorting?

I'm finding it very prone to shorting when moving trains from one line to another (using pairs of Peco electrofrog turnouts). But the behaviour is very inconsistent - different locos behave differently, eg from an inner to outer loop it might short when taking power from the inner, or from the outer, apparently at random and certainly varying from loco to loco.

It's fine taking things in and out of sidings, though - very reliable.

The track layout is new, but I'm minded to discount problems with that as the behaviour is so inconsistent, and there's certainly no reason in the layout why it should short out.

Providing the controllers for each channel are matched for direction and approx speed then any shorting is likely to individual loco driven in that wheel flange or back to back are shorting across the points.