Can't download the Railmaster software - RM_setup

Although the link is published on the Hornby website, the actual 'set-up' file you download is not. The file is located on the HRMS server in Buckinghamshire. Sometimes this server can be very slow at certain times of the day.

I have just downloaded the file. It was slow to download at less than 200Kbs to download a 66MB file, but it did download without timing out.

Give it a couple of hours and try again. To ensure that you are using the direct URL, try using the link below:

RailMaster Download

Your issue may be related to a communication error that some others have also reported previously at different times. With the others that had the same problem, it was an issue with the ISP they were using for their broadband. It seems that HRMS have implemented some fairly aggressive internet filters at their end that block certain IP address ranges that are known to be used by Spammers. Sometimes, totally innocent parties [like yourself] have IP addresses that fall within the blocked range. The other users that have had this issue, ended up going to a friends house or a place of work and using that other parties internet service to perform the download.

I have put a copy [zipped because it is a .exe file] of the current 1.74.2 version on my BT Cloud service. Not ideal and is not a long term fix for you, but as an emergency you can download my file from the link below. Once downloaded you will need to use a Zip utility to extract the .exe set-up file.

BT Cloud - Shared files - Public links

If you can communicate with HRMS via direct external email using their support@rail-master.com mail address, then you could explain your 'time out' situation quoting your public IP address allocated to you by your ISP [this is not the same as your local IP address used by your PC] the public IP address will be found by going into your router management interface. HRMS could then check to see if your public IP address is being blocked and unblock it for you. This is something they have done for others. If your emails can't get through either, then you are a bit stuck as HRMS do not publish a telephone number.

I had the same problem - timed out for the first time in many years using different download locations around the world. I made contact with HRMS through the RM help query system and they ‘tweaked their server’ (their words) and after that all downloads are faultless but as Chris has noted not particularly quick compared to other downloads.

Thanks for that Chris. Got the download now.

Still fighting with the new Kaspersky Internet Security though.

Can't seem to find the right settings for the A/V and Firewall.

The last version was fine but they've obviously added something that I can't find and add to exclusions.

I'll get there in the end.

Oh, by the way - I've had to download a new copy because my computer (brand new January 2021) had a hard drive die! Lost a load of stuff including the latest RailMaster and backups.

If your hard drive died before you got to deregister RM, then when you are talking to HRMS tell them you need to reset the key code and why, else when you get this AV block sorted you will then have a registration problem.

Personally one of the first jobs I undertake with any new computer is to take off ‘free’ AV and other ‘helpful’ bloatware wherever possible, relying on Win Defender for protection. Sometimes it is necessary to temporarily install an uninstaller that can do an aggressive clean of these free apps. The uninstaller can then be uninstalled until next time.

Thanks for the follow up info.

I've had this problem on a previous PC that was running Windows 10 and managed to get the Kaspersky settings sorted with no issues. The whole interface with the new version has so many different features and settings, it's hard to tell what works with Railmaster and what doesn't. I was under the impression that the only item I needed to 'trust' was 'Railmaster.exe' but with that set in the exclusions I still can't send a help request.

forum_image_60a6d534974af.png.2bb7a461bf33aca78fe264aadf316e5a.png

I have found that when the send help request is in progress it is best not to touch anything on the PC, else the request inevitably bombs. It can take a while to send as there are several files attached by the system to help with the investigation.

If your Kaspersky AV software includes its own Firewall, double check your 'Windows Security' settings to ensure that ONLY one Firewall is functional. The Kaspersky one OR the Windows one. Using two Firewalls simultaneously is known to cause no end of problems, not just with RailMaster. Personally, given the choice I would completely disable the Kaspersky one and use only Windows. Again, a purely personal opinion but I would totally avoid using any AV software [bloatware] that includes its own Firewall, these type of aggressive AV products seem to give the most issues with RailMaster.

Thanks both for your input.

I've sent a message via email to support regarding the activation codes etc...

Still don't know if the program has internet access ? Tried sending a help request again following your advice about leaving the PC well alone but still it fails asking me to check my internet connection. Is it just the Railmaster.exe that you add to exceptions or is there another file or part of the program to add in?forum_image_60a7a643a62a0.thumb.png.e9d8e002d26f42ee361b055acb367d85.png

Regarding the failing to download of Railmaster setup - I thought about the comment about IP addresses being blocked so I switched on my Kaspersky VPN and selected any address in the UK and immediately I was able to download the Railmaster software? Weird or what?

When I try and send help request I get -

forum_image_60a7b17b37832.png.f2e48ae7449452b3f9651c33049aee56.png

It's usually only necessary to add exceptions for "railmaster.exe". The 12003 error code is a 'cannot access the Internet' error code when seen within RM.

I assume that when you installed RM, you DID right click the installer and choose 'run as administrator' as stated in the instructions. RM is basically a Windows XP application and is not natively written as a Windows 10 one. This is usually part of the problem some users find. Personally, I have never ever experienced any issues with Internet communication within RM on either Windows 8 or Windows 10. I use ESET NOD32 AV software, and have done so for many years. I have never found a better AV application for being secure but not so aggressive that application issues are seen. It is very prudent when using Windows resources as well and takes up very little CPU time.

I get this error when trying to send a help request which according to the code

'ERROR_INTERNET_INCORRECT_PASSWORD

The request to connect and log on to an FTP server could not be completed because the supplied password is incorrect.'

I Don't understand that?

forum_image_60a81ad0ecee8.png.74d9441e8b6d827d0eb76ab8d8bf1cf7.png

Only me again, found something interesting regarding the downloading of Railmaster software. I can assume my IP address is blocked as when I use a VPN connection, I can download the rm_set with no issues.

Still can't get a message through to HRMS regarding the reset of my codes.

How long does it usually take to get a reply.

In my experience usually the same day and within hours.

But on the rare occasions that I do contact HRMS, my messages to them are very detailed and concise I try to avoid writing anything vague that requires them to ask further questions to gain clarity of understanding. I'm just saying that maybe why I get a quick response is because I make it easy for them to 'tick my question off their list of things to do'.

Thanks Chris,

I sent them an email or two yesterday and have heard nothing back.

Found a setting within the new Google Chrome that has a bearing on what stops the rm_setup down loading. Settings - Privacy and Security - site settings - additional content settings - insecure content - put the Hornby download page into there as allowed and it will download the software.

Yes, Windows 10 treats the RM set-up exe file as 'dodgy'. It is because [as I have said before] RM is written in an obsolete MS Visual Basic code. The 'security certificate' has not been updated by HRMS with MS. I presume because there is a cost associated with performing that certificate upgrade and possibly not even doable if MS was to insist on RM being written in currently MS supported Windows 10 code.

If you have made contact with HRMS via the integral Help Request system then you should get an auto-response almost immediately. If not then they likely didn’t get your transmission. A full reply can take much longer depending upon the problem.

In that case it is usual to make direct email contact explaining the overall issue including the failure to get through from within RM, notIng that no files will be sent this way.

As I said previously in my ‘failed to download’ case they tweaked their server presumably to allow me through as it has been no trouble since.

Whilst trying to figure out how to fix the communication issue I had another look at the settings in Kaspersky Internet Security 'Application network rules'.

I can see 2 objects in there 'ip.bat' & 'iptest.bat' but when trying to find them in their supposed locations of 'C:Program Files (x86)Railmaster' they do not exist ?

I'm wondering how Kaspersky has dreamt up these file names ? Is it maybe something that the RM installer created and then deleted ? Really weird.

I'll wait now until Monday as I don't expect anyone works over the weekend.

See if I can some response regarding my IP address being blocked.

Thanks for all the input chaps.

Hi Mike

I hope I can at least give some pointers here for you. I've just come across this thread this morning.

It is unlikely HRMS or Hornby are using aggressive filters to stop spammers with certain IP ranges. It is more likely to set their server to allow certain connections. This is difficult to explain on here with little room so I will leave that there. While Chris is partly correct it is normally an ISP who would implement these blocks and not an individual company like Hornby as it gets to be a very complex process and they wouldn't devote this kind of time except on a very basic level. Each time a router, a private one like yours, is restarted that address Hornby may have blocked becomes totally irrelevant to them as it will have changed. It may also be your browser which may be blocking you... see my note on that later.

Anyway... what happens is this: if you have an IP address issued by your ISP this is your public IP address that is used to communicate with the Internet etc.

You will be allocated one address from within a pool of several which is basically a block of addresses. The trouble with this type of IP is if a spammer (potentially anywhere in the world) is allocated one of the other addresses within that block and gets that address blocked ALL other IP's in that block are automatically blocked with it regardless of the end user, you.

As you are extremely unlikely to have a fixed IP address allocated to you the simplest way to change your IP is to switch off your router for around 30 seconds or so and switch it back on. You will be allocated a new Public IP address by your ISP and normally within another block which hopefully is clear. Eventually the other block will be cleared when the spammer is stopped and that block of addresses is clreared through what is called a Spamhouse.

This should get you back to 'normal'.

There could be issues with the Hornby servers for a short time if downloads cannot be completed and I do know you have successfully downloaded the required file now but these are rare. Using a VPN masks your IP address and can allow the fact that you may reside or are downloading from a different location, i.e. country. This is because a VPN, as you may already know, uses a set of routines that hides your own official Public IP and allows you the temporary use of another while surfing or downloading.

Kaspersky and other paid AV programs are a absolute nuisance when working with RM. My own Help Site, noted at the top of this RailMaster sub-forum, will tell you that any free AV software will work perfectly OK with RM as paid for products have their software wrap themselves around Windows very aggressively therefore being quite brutal as to what they allow through their firewalls.

You should therefore disable any firewall issued or installed via paid for products such as McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky and others. Then allow only WIndows Firewall sole use of the system. Also, when setting up programs to use either the Private or Public access facility of your firewall you should never allow Public access. This is for use in the likes of public areas like libraries or cafes. All software going through a Windows Firewall should be ticked for Private access only unless, like me, you run a server and have your own domain. The all Private and Public settings would be off and Domain would be used instead. Your own pictures show Private and Public. Remove the ticks from everything Public. They are not used anyway.

As Chris says only one firewall should be functional... that is specific to software based ones as your router will include a hardware version that cannot be altered and is always active. This is normal. Chris's advice on his post where he includes that statement is wholly correct.

I was about to suggest that you use a different browser as, now I know you use Chrome, I could have told you that it has to have certain settings changed for older software and certain .exe files to be allowed to download. Chrome has to be one of the worst browsers in history and is far too aggressive and data hungry. You should change to Firefox or similar Mozilla based browser for far better security and less internal settings to change to get it work as it should without taking data from your browsing history. Still, that's a personal choice.

The whole question of the setup using firewalls and AV software is gone through in a lot of detail on my Help Site and it may be worth your while reading through it.

Use the Prep Install, Installation and other links to see how comprehensive it is and it may just help in your tasks.

https://octaviancs.com/railmaster/rm.php

Hi Augustus Caesar,

Thank you for your input and advice regarding my issues. I will continue my efforts to get it running again.

A couple of thing I need to clarify though.

My IP address is a static as I have several computers on a Domain (this computer is not attached to the domain) and run several FTP servers on various machines.

I've removed and re-installed Railmaster several times in the past without any issues but this last time it was forced on me by a new brand new hard drive failure only days after I re-installed Railmaster. It was running fine through Kaspersky A/V and Firewall.

I just find it very strange that I tried downloading the setup files through Chrome, Edge and Firefox without success. Eventually, by using the VPN I did manage the download but by then I had already got the download from Chris.

Have you got any ideas regarding the ip.bat & iptest.bat files that the installer creates and then deletes?

Once again thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga.

Best regards

Mike

Hi Mike

It's not often I come across someone with a domain setup as we have so it came as a surprise when I read your reply. Apologies if my statement in the earlier post was misplaced. However, I can fully undestand your setup now though.

Your testing too seems to have been quite thorough using different browsers etc. and of course through a VPN.

It seems rather odd to have Hornby servers be at fault here given you eventually achieved the download througha VPN.

I've never failed to complete a download of anything from Hornby so it stands to reason that maybe something on your system is blocking this? The standard checks have been done by yourself and with help from Chris so something is definitely in the way.

Maybe contacting Hornby in the first instance or checking your IP for appearances on blacklists may be a good start. I assume you will be aware of how to check these through spam houses? If your IP is blocked were you allocated a spare IP address you could swap to? My ISP have allocated four, one for use and the other three are there if required for obvious reasons.

The ip.bat and iptest.bat files I presume are written as the contact may be made to the Hornby servers and then overwritten when the connection is completed or has failed.

As you are not getting a connection I wonder if that's why the files are still showing for you in Kaspersky(?) but are not found when looking for them on your drive.

To test this have a window open with the directory for those files open and try to attempt a communication with Hornby servers as you are and see if you can see those files pop up and disappear. Personally I would attempt to capture them if fast enough by stopping the connection when one of the files first pops into view. Probably very difficult but maybe possible. That way, when opening one of the files, you may see what is going on.

The ip.bat file could be there to check if you ARE online or not. The iptest.bat file could simply be a follow up test by the server you are attempting to contact to say that after the ip.bat file succeeds in saying you are online, then the test file may be testing contact with Hornby servers. Then either way these fles are auto deleted as they are no longer required.

If you have used this or similar then fine but if not I include an address to check your IP for blacklisting or email blacklisting. Make sure you don't use a VPN as you may probably have guessed.

Just to say that the files you mention can named in different ways but the gist is the same of course.

Possibly something to digest with all of that above if you have not done so thus far.

Keep us informed...