Chieftain Tank

jopres57

The Airfix Chieftain captures the look of the real thing very well, it’s a bit short on detail though so I added a few bits and pieces. Main work was the large turret stowage basket behind the light projector. I had originally thought about scratch-building the basket but to make things a lot easier I just built a representation of it covered in tarpaulin. I had hoped to find some decent after-market decals, but Chieftain definitely isn’t a popular subject, so I ended up using kit decals with some additional squadron markings. One thing I did find disappointing was the lack of available decals of the small Union Flags that have been displayed on British Army vehicles for years, usually on one mudguard front and rear. Does anyone know a good source?

forum_image_60b4e7f921470.thumb.png.ee1ab760095b9ba565f6abc6b7fbc94f.png

The model is a generic portrayal of a tank from about 1970, when black/green cammo was becoming standard, up to 1977 when the colour of bridge classification disks changed from yellow to light grey. Older versions of Chieftain with early pattern NBC equipment and single headlights were still in service in the late seventies. Not all tanks were fitted with laser rangefinders at this time, even those that were kept the ranging machine gun as a back-up.

As with many other Airfix kits I would like to see a re-release of this one (and the Centurion).

• 2 weeks later...
Chieftain looks great! As for union flag decals, Kingfisher miniatures http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk do sets of just the flags (KD63 in their catalogue) or in combination with number plates for various vehicles - unfortunately not Chieftain but does cover various Landrover and CVR(T) derivatives.

Thanks for this Tim, I did check the site before but only noticed the folding paper flags. The decals will be really useful because I don't think many post war British Army vehicle kits have the flags. I don't think any of the Airfix ones do.