New Track System

96RAF

Could Hornby look at a totally new track system.

This could include the following:

1. Integrated realistic ballast which would add structural strength to the sleeper/rail system for greater reliability and provide easy mounting to the baseboard as well as positive electrical connection between the rails.
  2. External electrical connection to a controller to be simple, positive and reliable.
  3. Integrated point motors which would be operable by DC/DCC/other.
  4. Expand the parts range to include greater radius curves, more complex crossings and points, such as ladder cross-overs, single and double slips, catch points, etc.
  5. Additional features as suggested by others.

Hornby could re-introduce the track systems they abandoned when they took over some of the European ranges and enforced System 6 on everyone. The Jouef system had most of what you are asking for apart from the integrated ballast and extra radii. It’s been mentioned one here before that Hornby were going to introduce a double slip but abandoned it.

Other people have done interesting track in the past. Wrenn (and possibly Farish) did a OO scissors crossing which could be very useful and has plenty of options for prototypical use.

I don’t know who owns the Conrad system now which I think had everything you are suggesting and you could apparently run virtually any 2 rail loco on it. of course, to take this to its logical conclusion Hornby could ask PECO and include their streamline range in the Hornby catalogue.

With a number of HO / OO track systems on sale in Europe, USA, Japan and here in UK, I am wondering if it is actually economic for Hornby to embark upon what could be a costly retooling of their track system.

The features outlined in the OP are certainly desirable, but these are already available from different manufacturers both home and abroad. Not all are mutually compatible but there are quite a few which incorporate a 'roadbed' and also which have complex point work such as double slips and three way turnouts.

I well remember the old Tri-ang Standard track (in my first electric train set) which was moulded in grey plastic including a crude 'roadbed' but it was hailed as an improvement when Series three appeared which did away with the ballast. Things have moved on considerably since then, and most 'non-roadbed' Code 100 track in OO/HO, similar to Hornby's current product will mix compatibly with other makes. To deviate from that would make life much more difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading through some of my continental catalogues over the weekend looking for a particular item, and ended up looking at the track ranges. The one piece of track that stood out was an extendable piece to fit anywhere between two lengths. How useful would that be?

Currently many Hornby track formations require 4x R610 short straights, introducing three un-necessary joints. An extendable piece of track could cover this, or even a ‘special straight’ as included in many continental track ranges. This would cut down on joints and associated electrical connection problems.

Jouef, who are one of the brands Hornby now own made an extendable straight (I think Lima did too), presumably they have the equipment and permissions to make them. Both makes would be compatible with Hornby track and could be introduced without adaptation.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently many Hornby track formations require 4x R610 short straights, introducing three un-necessary joints.

2x R601 double straights OR 1x R603 long straight = 4x R610 short straights. Thus eliminating 3 unnecessary joints to just 1 or none.

R601

https://uk.hornby.com/products/double-straight-r601

R603

https://uk.hornby.com/products/long-straight-r603

@JB

I beg to differ. You are confusing R610 with R600.

R610 quarter straight is a mere 38mm track length, hence x4 wouldn’t go anywhere near a R601 double straight, not even being equal to an R600 standard straight with a track length of 168mm.