Hornby Avelia Liberty/Acela Express

Typhoon Ace

With the new Amtrak Avelia Liberty planning to enter service next year, I was thrilled to see Hornby offer a HO scale version, let alone a trainset, until i saw the pictures (here: https://us.hornby.com/products/acela-electric-train-set-hr1000 ), in which my excitement slowly died off. Hornby's Avelia Liberty seems more "toyish" then per se, an actual model. With a certain detail, the location of the pantograph being straight up inaccurate. Now im not the most prototypical modeler and i do intend to still purchase it once it becomes available state side.

But im afraid that this model/trainset will not sell well in the US market, especially when you are going up against some of the most renowned model train manufacturers in the USA (Bachmann, Athearn, Atlas etc). Bachmann being the main proprietor of HO scale Amtrak equipment, having released the older/soon to be retired Acela in a trainset. Which is more accurate and prototypical then Hornbys new Avelia trainset. I truly wonder if Hornby understands what the North American/USA market wants when it comes to model trains.

Interestingly I can't find it on the Rivarossi website but it looks very similar to the Lima Italo set. It looks like the type of starter set that would sell in a department store or general toy shop along the lines of the Argos Intercity. I'm sure Hornby will know what market segment they are targeting it at.

• 4 weeks later...