Talgo III - Restoration

Tim M

I noticed an interesting article on the Talgo website in Spain.

They and RENFE are recovering the last existing Talgo III train set with a view to restoring it and putting it into operation.

• The restoration will allow it to be used as a historic train on the line of the Madrilenian Tren de la Fresa or the Catalán Talgo. 

forum_image_6131e0bec507e.thumb.png.1300f7b055c129d8d913933205948d58.png

The article is available to read in full on the Talgo website:

https://1qg1.short.gy/1fXjOK

We produce models of the Talgo III of course, currently we have the loco in stock and recently produced the Coach set (you may be able to find stock in local retailers as we have sold out of that specific livery currently)

Our full Talgo range is visible here in HO:

https://1qg1.short.gy/Fqo6B7

And from Arnold in N scale

https://1qg1.short.gy/7m3jkg

Tim

Great to see one of the sets is being preserved in running order.

The Talgo concept has a fascinating history. Originally intended as a way of increasing line speed after the Spanish civil war so that the newly formed RENFE could increase speeds from 45-55 to 60-70mph. Spain had many single track and mountainous routes, all of which were in poor condition after the war. As the network was renovated and improved, the Talgo sets could be operated at much higher speeds and the concept forms the basis of many of the AVE sets.

In order to appreciate how low these lightweight trains are, they have to be seen alongside 'normal' stock.

forum_image_6133436f05d2c.thumb.png.4e3ee1d5ccf071f66cacae154b74ab4f.png

forum_image_61334374e879f.thumb.png.86461d9e772965e76f583634bd656fb9.png

The 352 locomotives, introduced in 1964 for the Talgo 3 sets were mechanically very similar to the BR Cl 42 Warships - both having twin Maybach MD650 engines and hydraulic transmission.

I am surprised that under the Rivarossi brand, Hornby haven't released an accurate model of the Cascades Talgo with the fin cars. To my knowledge, the Electrotren Talgo released in Amtrak livery was only ever tested in the US.

I am awaiting a re-release of the Talgo Pendular in the Grandes Lineas livery with the Nike swoosh. I think this was last available as E3245 around 2006 and I cannot find one!

There may even be a OO scale Talgo down the line sometime.....the proposed factory in Scotland is still on track apparently.

Yes the Talgo's are very interesting. I have a 14 car Talgo produced some

years ago by the Spanish company of Ibertren complete with internal lighting. This company was at one time associated with Lines Bros - erstwhile Triang

named Exin-Lines Bros. They also produced a version of Scalextric.

The train ran between Madrid and Paris with a gauge changing mechanism at Port Bou. SNCF locos both diesel and electric were fitted with a special coupling enabling them to be hitched to the Talgo coaches. I also have the Talgo loco produced by Ibertren which is of the original build and fitted with a motor very much resembling the circular Lima item. Would certainly be something different in the UK if it happens.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim,

I've been scouring the web, trying to find someone who still has stock of the Talgo III 6-car base set, but to no avail. Do you think Hornby might consider producing another run of the base set (and the cafeteria car)?

Many thanks,

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

Just the standard Talgo III Red & Silver, with the black corridor connectors (as per E3342, which along with the base pack, is currently out of stock), as they would have been in the 80's and 90's (so Epoch IV/V). So was just wondering if Hornby might produce a new run of the 6-car base pack?

Many thanks, Chris.