Is Playtrains needed?

BenjiBoogle

At the moment, I am watching the television - the new Hornby program. There was a segment about the new product line of 'Playtrains'. I was just wondering but, was it worth the try? In my opinion I have mixed views

On the 'cons' side, I guess you could call it, it may be a bit too much like their old 'Thomas' range which has now stopped due to copyright license issues. I may be sounding like an outsider to the hobby but it may be!

Now for the best bits - the long bit probably - the 'pros' side. I think this is actually a great idea to expand their range. Personally I wasn't too bothered about their other range (which I have forgotten the name of) because of its simplicity and lack of diversity, when looking at the toy train market. I try not to call this hobby 'playing with trains' or 'toy trains' since, like Simon says, they are for keeps! Enough dilly-dallying though, I think this is a great new breach into the lesser thought of age range that the hobby proudly holds - children! After a look at the sets online, I personally like the option to add a face or keep it simple with the rolling stock. The cardboard buildings and scenery is a nice touch on the other hand as well.

Overall, I can say the range is a great new idea to bring new people into the hobby of a different age range.

Hiya

Well that depends who it is for??? I don't know your age - if it is for you say - & your over say 16, I would go into proper Hornby Train Set - My late Dad got me my 1st 3 Train Sets when I was 8 - 2 were Lima & 1 was Airfix & I haven't look back!!! But if it is for some 1 else & they are 3+ as it say on the box on the Hornby Web site then go for it, & when they are old enough - start buying them a proper Hornby Train set!!! but that is just my thoughts about it!!! 🙂🤔🚂🚂🚂

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening I hope you are all ok I wanted to buy my son the playtrains set for Xmas but unintentionally bought just 'Bolt' the train with no track, I was just wondering if you could buy the oval track separately or knew which packs would make the oval. Also wanted to ask if anyone had bought the playtrains set and if your were impressed with it thank you

John

@John

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

@John

Probably not what you were hoping to hear but, to me, the easiest way would be to purchase the one train set available in the range and keep the train already bought as a second one to run. The set will give you the oval of track you are seeking, plus the track mat, station and tunnel which are not available separately.

Although add-on track packs are offered, these would probably be both an expensive and wasteful way of obtaining the track sections to create the basic oval as, if you are going to use the track mat, it looks as if you will end up with points and some track sections you do not need.

@john "Good evening I hope you are all ok I wanted to buy my son the playtrains set for Xmas but unintentionally bought just 'Bolt' the train with no track,"

I did the same thing when buying a Christmas present for my great-nephew, but realised my mistake as soon as I placed the order. I ordered the Flash set as well which he had for Christmas. I'll buy a couple of track extension packs and give him those and the Bolt set for his third birthday in March.

Incidentally, he loves it and mastered the controls very quickly. Hornby are on to a winner with this range. Very well done. smiley