Brand new Drift 360° Problems on Xmas day :'-(

So setup the new set and it ran Intermittently for 20 minutes. Tracks fine as I tested it with other cars. In the end 1 of the cars just won't run at all and the other is stop start. To avoid being the Grampy that ruined Xmas I grabbed an old pair of Nissan 350z's and an old club lamborghini, removed the bolts that stop them spinning 360, set them pointing the correct way round so they could drive forward and spin not reverse and the kids drove them to the ragged edge with only the occasional expected stop.

Really disappointed. Are the engines in these mustangs under powered? Can't decide whether to rebuild them for testing or return. Anyone else having issues? I've given the grandkids a slighter older perfectly working set and a pair of spark plugs which scratches their mobile device addiction 🤣🤣

Merry Christmas everyone 🥳

I have had the same exact problems. Absolutely disappointed!!! I was really looking forward to playing with my son. No fun when the cars don't work, don't make it all the way around the track then stopping and the having to reajust and put bacn onto the track every 30 seconds. One works better then they other but still hugely annoying, not at all what I was expecting. Too expensive to even contemplate keeping, will be returning disappointed

It is rare but sometimes powerbases or cars come off the line with problems.
If it is a new purchase you can of course get a replacement from where you purchased it or contact Hornby directly.

They usually replace any faulty products with no problem.

Yes im returning it to where I purchased it but no real suprise everyone is sold out. So I'll get another set...I enjoy Formula E. Might just get the cars and digi plug them.

The kids have a nice layout now with the Batman and joker set cars and a batman & joker micro set that my 3 year old grandaughter loves. its set up Inside the bigger track. I got her the wonder woman car but she's a Batman fan lolol

Hope you all had a great Christmas 🙂

It is rare but sometimes powerbases or cars come off the line with problems.

If it is a new purchase you can of course get a replacement from where you purchased it or contact Hornby directly.

I have the same issue. It seems that the slider (with the braids) is too thin. When the cars move and wiggle a bit, the braids lose power. So this happens a lot in tighter turns. The kids are very disappointed as the cars keep starting and stopping, and you have ton push them in tight turns to get through them.

I cleaned tracks, replaced braids, checked all clicks, and that's all fine.

Would love some urgent help if possible as to how to get these to work.

Hi Andy !

Ensure you're aware we're talking about the 360 drift track. These cars don't have "ends" on the braids, so you can't bend them. But I tried all sorts of things with the braids (curving, lifting etc.). Nothing worked.

The biggest issue is on the bigger sharper bends.

I bought Track Expansion pack 1 as well (with the criss-cross turns), and the cars instantly stops on those too.

Seems when you wiggle them a bit they get power, so it's definitely the connection. It barely, if at all, touches the 2 stripes in those sharper turns.

What is the fix ? dumping the drift cars and buying regular ones ?

Hi Andy !
Ensure you're aware we're talking about the 360 drift track. These cars don't have "ends" on the braids, so you can't bend them. But I tried all sorts of things with the braids (curving, lifting etc.). Nothing worked.

The biggest issue is on the bigger sharper bends.
I bought Track Expansion pack 1 as well (with the criss-cross turns), and the cars instantly stops on those too.

Seems when you wiggle them a bit they get power, so it's definitely the connection. It barely, if at all, touches the 2 stripes in those sharper turns.

What is the fix ? dumping the drift cars and buying regular ones ?

Before I returned mine I took the small "drift" lock screws out of an older model with the same braids. I screwed them into the drift cars to stop them spinning and 1 car definitely had a duff motor. The other one seemed massively underpowered.

I then raced the old drift/spin cars on the track and they worked much better, with 1 major note that you have to Initially ensure the braids are pointing in the correct direction or they just try to constantly reverse lol.

Maybe the problem is in whatever it is that allows you to place the new mustangs with the braids being either way round?

I haven't seen the latest drift cars (I am not a Hornby employee) but I know the braids wore out fast so I bought beefier after market ones that had less copper i.e. harder.

Technically not as fast but it doesn't really matter on this type of layout...

I raced at a club and we had some lying around.. not sure where to get it though.