New working level crossings.

The son of Triangman

Isn't it time Hornby replaced the level crossings in the range that have been with us since 1978? Some nicely detailed crossings with working gates would be nice and a curved level crossing system with working gates would be great? Instead of making new locos all the time, isn't time to update areas of the range? Thoughts please?

Agreed single, double and crossings expandable across wider track systems in both straight and curved - noting that the curved ones would have to cater for all radii so maybe best sold as pick list modular parts i.e. inner and outer gate elements to fit each radius plus infill road sections as necessary. With a bit of thought the working gates and mechanism could be standard and clip to various road bits.

Unless Hornby decide to get in to the market for serious modellers and compete with the likes of Peco. I do not see them progressing this idea - for no other reason than all their equipment over the years has been designed for use from track level upwards (so users are not forced in to having to construct a baseboard with a cavity below) and I doubt whether working gated level crossings can be made without at least part of the mechanism being below track level. Barrier-style crossings may just be possible if the means of raising the booms can be miniaturised to fit in to the cabinet mouldings and the operation still look realistic. As Peco already have a wider range of crossings for straight and curved track, it is more likely they who will go for motorisation. The eventual retail price of such an accessory may also deter Hornby from developing it for comparatively few sales all the time their limited r&d capability can achieve better returns on locos and rolling stock. But I may be wrong....