Return to railway subject modelling

Martin1707822746

Do Airfix have any plans to return to railway modelling?

As Airfix is part of Hornby does Airfix have any plans to return to release railway construction kits, I grew up with the old railway kits, as did many, by todays standards these could be described as crude, but with modern moulding and detailing, a construction kit of say an STANDARD 5,with metal wheels, etched rods, valve gear etc, tender options etc, i think would be worth while, as would several others that are not available in some cases generic motor kits and detailing kits that plug in, could be designed so that they become suitable to different sizes of kit, and new detailed mounding of a selection of wagons, and coaches , possibly using existing hornby moulds but intended for diy build might save on tooling costs, What do you think?

I'd be happy if Airfix re-created a railway range of kits - buildings, vehicles, locomotives, wagons, coaches, even figures and what about a trawler or fishing boat in 1/76.

Having said that, I think it very unlikely. Hornby seem to have a lot covered with their Scaledale range, and all the old tools were sold to Dapol in 1985.

AIRFIX had some super model railway stuff, didn't they. They were pocket money prices, could be built simply and quickly, looked great on the layout were always in stock at the local model shop. My layout was absolutely full of Airfix kits of Loco's, rolling stock, bridges and buildings. The little people were also really good. I had a few of their RTR train sets, locos and rolling stock, too. These were for the kids as they went through their Train Set stage. These were really models. I still have a few items kicking around in the attic. The only other railway related models that I bought were the SuperQuick Card models, which are still available now, Card kits are doing very well at the moment, so I had suggested that Airfix produced a few free downloads that could be used to pose their ranges of kits. This would have included railway items, but they are long gone.

I feel that AIRFIX, with their Hornby link, could produce some simplified, static locos of famous subjects, such as Tornado and Prince of Wales. These would utilise existing parts, such as loco bodies and Tenders, plus plastic frames and wheels etc.

There are still a number of the old Airfix/kitmaster train kits in production by Dapol. It would seem unlikely Airfix would get back into making them at this time and I would like to see a return of new 1/600 Warship kits first

However they do like tanks so maybe we can compromise with something like this MBV-2 Armoured Train and get the foot in the door :) forum_image_61f01c20d1613.png.f92fe6afcad40e409121dff5f7f11449.png