Paint codes for 1/72 scales WW1 aircraft

Hi, I am returning to the land of model building and I have a number of airfix 1/72 scale models from WW1. I plan to start with the Albatros DV 1917 and the plans are very basic. I’m wanting to do the paint job as per the colour instructions which give a code such as M19/60 or M13/27. Is this an either / or option or a mix of two colours. If its a mix what are the ratio’s? I’m using humbrol enamel paints and will be using an Iwata airbrush to do the job. Can anyone help me work out the colour system on the plan. Thanks for any help :)

One should always consider that each manufacturer recommends their own brand of paint, whether it is accurate or just the closest they make. Accurate paint colours are a subject all on their own. WW1 isn't my usual sphere of interest, but IIRC colours were not necessarily 100% adhered to. The best advice I was given was - if it looks good to you, it's good enough.

Rod - ask 100 modellers how to do something and you'll get 200 answers. There is no right way and no wrong way. It's whatever works for you. I may prefer one paint, you might another, whoever asked will choose what they like best. Unless you are building for a commission (in which case you must please the customer) its down to the individual.

• 1 year later...

Just came across this thread and the information links are the sort of thing I have been looking for to do some WWI aircraft.

I have also dug out my modelling kit from the loft recently and found a box with Airfix squarish glass bottles along with Revell tinlet paints. Some of the Airfix ones still look alright after a stir. I've tried to 'rejuvenate' a dried up bottle with thinner and that seems to work as well. Turned out it was just a dried crust on top of the paint after giving it a strong poke with a long matchstick.

I like the advice about if it looks good to you then it's alright. Just for a wheeze I'm thinking of getting a challenge box of 15no Sopwith Camels and doing them in colour schemes I would have wanted had I been there. Totally non-regulation!