Hornby Collector Club Renewal - with discount???

Bulleidboy

I think it would be great if there was 'one' Hornby Club. Not just for OO, but including the other brands. I have looked at joining the 'Club Electrotren' on a number of occasions but there is no discount from this webshop. As prices go up, any additional incentive to shop direct can only be good for Hornby, potentially increasing direct sales and brand engagement.

They'll probably take it away again now you've alerted them to it joy.

It's good though as it brings the cost of membership to below what it was before the most recent increase. another small incentive to keep membership going.

I'm just wondering what Hornby actually gets out of keeping the Club going.

It would be interesting to know how many members there are. When I rang this morning, it was one of those "push 1 for this and 2 for that" - Button one covered numerous options including the Club - so the same person would answer all queries. I would have thought they get very little, but the 10% discount and free postage on orders over £50 has to be an incentive to many. The Club must have started very many years ago, I had a badge and certificate from the 1950's - I expect every child who got a train set joined.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder how that beaks down into domestic/overseas members.

As an overseas-based former member, I haven't renewed in a couple of years and feel I have no incentive to do so under the current structure. I used to enjoy the perceived "freebie" loco each year, not that I have ever run any of them, but there's always that irrational thought I'm getting "something for nothing"! I can certainly see how the 10% discount on orders is a big draw-card for British residents though, which must surely make up the lion's share of members.

However, living where I do, any discount is well and truly negated by the £50 delivery fee on orders under £250 in value. Granted, with prices climbing ever higher, it's not difficult to spend £250 these days. But placing a substantial order to take advantage of both the 10% discount and free shipping risks raising the attention of Customs at the border. I'd imagine there are quite a few in my boat who have done the numbers and realized they simply don't stack up through the official store.

HK.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, and they seem to still be sending out those horrible little 0-4-0 locos as punishment. I won't rejoin the "Club" as it isn't worth it. 10% discount is offered elsewhere (or more) and who wants a badge over the age of 12. The mag improved but that's about it.