Newbie needing help with paint techniques

Coples79

Hi!

Im new to the world of airfix building and hoping to gain some useful tips here πŸ˜ƒ!

I have an aircraft kit to build & paint, it will be predominantly white with burgundy red markings.

I assume it’s best to paint the pieces before assembling the plane?

Is primer a must have?

Any recommendations for best paint types to buy welcome? I want a good finish on this as the plane will be a gift for my son in law.

Thank you for your help πŸ˜ƒ!

You will need to decide which parts to paint before assembly. In some cases it pays to assemble first an then paint afterwards. The interior parts for example must be painted before you close them off inside the fuselage. The wings can be stuck to the fuselage before painting. The best advice is "if you can paint it easily after gluing together then glue it first. If you won't be able to paint it easily ............. then paint it first."

As for the primer.....yes. By applying a primer you will see where all the defects are and you can put them right before the final coats.

To get the best from this forum it's a good idea to look around. You will find many topics in the Humbrol (Techniques, Tips and Craft) sub-forum that will answer all your questions, and if they don't you can ask the bits that aren't covered in the particular thread. In that way all can benefit by only having to visit the one thread rather than multiple ones all asking the same question.

Have fun exploring, you will learn interesting things.

im still experimenting with the bits i paint whilst still on the spur aircraft wheels i now do still attached just leaving the little bits to sand and paint where once attached

the canopy's i paint before fitting and is the very last thing i fit on the plane, if i use acrylic paint iv found you cant scratch it off the glass part when i go over the edge of the framework very gently with a cocktail stick, does work with enamel paint but not as good

a good tip i got from ratch was to paint the body/wings before attaching things like wheels and small fiddley bits that can be easily knocked off whilst holding it and painting

if im painting a small piece that's too small to hold say like the pilot (1:72 scale) i use an old paint brush that I've taken the bristles off and put some blue tack on end and i stick it in just enough to hold it, im able to paint it at any angle and turn it round without getting covered in paint and then stand the brush handle out of the way till its dried and finished.