HMS Ajax

JAMES-1245295

I understand that there Airfix did use to have a model for the HMS Ajax, but it is no longer in issue.

I am trying to track down a set. This was the ship my grandfather served on as an engineer during WW2 (a veteran of Dunkirk, the Russian conveys and the Pacific).

Me and him used to love doing Airfix together. and having recently walked past a hobby shop I had a real rush of nostalgia! My grandfather passed a way a number of years ago but i was really keen to track down a set and complete it for old times sake.

I've written to the Airfix customer service team, who unfortunately confirmed they no longer stocked this set. I was hoping that the Airfix community might be able to help.

• 9 months later...

This looks like a nice little kit. The main turrets need some raising, forward 4 inch mounts seem to need repositioning if the other models I've looked at are correct. The whalers positioned in front of the 4 inch mounts appear to need to go between them.

Otherwise looks like a great basis for adding extra detail and photo etch. There are some 3D printed parts available but I'll try to use as much of the original model, as most of it looks pretty good, just needs the extra detail added such as port holes, hatches and doors. Happily there are only two molded ladder ways to remove.

Checking the alignment of the molded port holes, there are a few out of line along the hull. Will try to straighten their alignment when drilling out

These kits are no longer available new but I scored one cheap from an online sale, so if you're patient you should be able to find one too.

• 2 weeks later...

The turrets are not very good. I had originally built them straight from the box but I've gone back to work on them again. I'll try to post some pictures. You can actually get resin replacements - if you're willing to pay an arm and a leg - but I think you can re-work them quite easily.

Ratch, most of the models and drawings I've seen with the twin 4 inch show them spaced further apart, and with the cutter in between them, rather than forward of them. There is also an over head photo of Ajax in the Warship Annual of 2019(?) that shows the same. Can't be sure they weren't originally in the position on the OOB Airfix kit, but I haven't seen definitive proof of it yet. In the kit they seem to be in the positions of the original single 4 inch mounts, and I think the additional spacing was to reduce the chance of one hit disabling both mounts on one side..

• 2 months later...

I have made a start on detailing the main turrets for the Ajax. 1mm styrene sheet on the bottom both corrects the height and encloses barrel slots which otherwise run all the way to the bottom of the turret, which looks awful. I also ran the slots up into the top plates just a little. All this detail can be found by sneaking a peak at the various 3D printed replacement parts websites that often feature wonderful images from every angle. You could of course just buy their parts, but that may increase the cost of the project by a fair margin.

A number of small styrene panels and wire lengths are glued on to simulate other detail, and very fine wire is run around the outside of the barrel slot to simulate the flange that lines them.

I moved the barrel slots out slightly and then adjusted it to the right width with a styrene insert. All sounds very fiddly but usually I spend more time procrastinating about these steps than doing them, once you set aside some time they don't take so long.

Also visible is the treatment I gave to the 4 inch mounts, closing up the slot, moving the barrels closer, cutting away the solid lower rear and simulating the loading tray. These little treatments all make a big difference, and get you on the way to making something close to the best models available in 1:700.

The WEM PE also looks pretty stunning, so hopefully this will end up being another really good finished model to go alongside my Exeter conversion.

Note also I've taken the time to smooth out any sign of the seam between the superstructure walls and the deck on top. This is really crucial on these older models if you want to add detail like doors, port holes and hand rails, and end up with a really neat finish.forum_image_640d1d824f9af.thumb.png.e7f8217f4547ea6f18b71999aea4ffa8.png

The bridge structure has been moved back a few mm from its original position. It appeared to be far too close to B turret. This required butchering the deck it sat on to remove the forward part of the locating plinth and inserting some replacement deck. Also a slight overhang on the front face was added (hard to see here) and the upper level screens were replaced with thin styrene of about the right height.

The covered bridge was discarded and a replacement modeled out of left over PE and styrene. I decided to use the original 12 foot rangefinders as the PE ones were flat and I didn't think much would be gained by using them.

Upper search light platforms have been added at the back of the bridge structure. The DCT gained a fair bit of extra detail too although it doesn't really stand out. There is a PE forward bracing bracket between the HACs mast and the DCT.

A modified 4 inch mount from the kit is in approximately the right position forward.forum_image_641382a2dcbb1.thumb.png.8c05f159604ec5b8202238e1c8e34945.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost done, just the Seafox float plane and some minor parts to attach, and some paint touch ups. Once a few modifications were made, detail and PE set added, this kit really came alive. I have rushed the end a bit, wish I had more patience, but when there's a window of time to do some work, I tend to want to maximize it.

forum_image_6441bc0e5f0b6.thumb.png.376977affe4703130441c1f338923c8e.png

forum_image_6441bc18bf67a.thumb.png.ef4263d3b316872b20dcf89908a33a49.png

• 1 month later...