Have I got some interesting cars?

John-1246105

I listed some cars for sale on eBay that my wife picked up at a jumble sale thinking I might be able to re-sell them. This is the link... (hope it's okay to link)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255461285478?hash=item3b7aadde66:g:Rp8AAOSw5IFiQx6Y

I put it to an auction starting at 99p and someone has just offered my £40 if I do it as a buy-it-now.

Can anyone tell me what makes them think it's worth that much?

Hi John ,

Posting links to auctions is not forbidden but Hornby and its entities are not and cannot be held responsible for any of the contents as is stated in the terms and conditions.

If the link however contains products that are not Hornby we reserve the right to remove the links and warn the user.

In your case it is OK as those are all Hornby cars.

What is it worth?

Use the search function ... my answer is always the same: What someone is willing to pay.

That changes often for no real reason at all.

There are other tips on here like looking at finished auctions etc.

Bit 40 GBP for a set of cars sound fine to me if they are slightly beat up and even a bargain if they are all complete and in working order...

If someone wants you to take an offer (even though you didn't have a buy-it-now price) then it's because they think it's worth way more than that. And/or they're going to try to get you to do the "sale" outside of Ebay, which means you lose your protections.

I get this when telling tech gear, especially Apple-branded stuff. I ignore them. I've yet to me out of pocket by doing so.

At my slot car club I get asked all the time why I get away with buying stuff so cheaply... simples: I don't buy it when under time pressure. I take my time and only bid what I am willing to pay and I usually get good deals.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I've just been going through the loft and was wondering what my old scalextric cars could be worth, if anyone is able to help. I have:

C.305 Bentley, boxed.

C.306 Alfa Romeo, boxed.

C.436 Porsche 962, boxed.

C.007 Porsche 911 Blanco, boxed.

C.461 ford Benetton b189, boxed.

And about five other cars.

Hope to hear back from someone. Thanks