I use Tamiya Masking Tape for such jobs (other brands are available). use the straight edge of the side for the demarcation line and cut it cleanly with a sharp scalpel. Ensure it is rubbed down well to prevent bleed under the tape, and spray.

forum_image_6274e1fd807a2.thumb.png.5b873ebb30613f0fdc72f0edbafa65d0.pnggot this sat on the bench, on this one i used the modelcraft collection precision masking tape 3mm thick acid free on this one, not too sure if acid free makes any difference but iv used it a few times now and its not lifted any paint or left any marks behind.

as ratch says make sure you rub the edge down to stope paint bleed, to cut the tape i use a sharp blade in a craft knife i don't have any scalpels,

once painted i let dry and the peel the tape off nice and steady

on the wings i bent the tape over the edge and stuck it onto the under side making it easier to get hold and peel off, on the body i put in place and then trimmed with a knife to the right length, to peel off i use a cocktail stick to gently prise the edge/corner of the tape up opposite the painted edge.